1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to remove the Internet Exporer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jamsheed, Feb 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jamsheed

jamsheed Thread Starter

Hello guys,

I need to know how to remove the internet explorer from my winxp since i am getting problem with, you guidence will be appreciated.
    Best Regards

2. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

Are you refering to IE 7? IE 6 shouldn't be removed, and doing it is a task in any event. IE 7 should be found at Start>Settings>Conrol Panel>Add or Remove - - . You can routinely remove it there, with the resident "6" being automatically reactivated.

HOWEVER, M$ will constantly reinstall "7", if you allow automatic updates in any manner. M$ is simply cramming "7" down our throats. The only recourse is to not use auto updates and manually go thru the "Security Center" on the Control Panel. [I have put an icon link to it on my desktop.] Then there is a further complication!! M$ will urge you to accept their full stable of updates, which will include "7." Don't go that route, but use "Custom" mode and then you will be able delete "7" from the download/installation. Again, M$ will infer with an advisory message that you don't know what you are doing and really shouldn't exclude "7". This will occur every time you check for new critical updates.

"Big brother" at its worst!

{redoak}

3. Old Rich

Old Rich

How dare M/S cram a security enhancements down our poor throats! ! !

4. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

I ran Windows Update in manual mode and unchecked the box for "install IE7 whether I need it or not". Then checked the box for "don't try to cram this update down my throat again".

5. escalader

escalader

It's difficult to help you when the solution is assumed in the question. With all due respect you have assumed that IE is the problem.

Can you send in an attachment of the screen print which you see causing you to assume IE is an issue?

Everything RedOak says is correct and removing IE is a bad idea.

You need to be much more specific about the symptoms you have and send those in.

6. redoak

I should add that I do not use IE in any version for my regular browsing. In effect, I have it turned off only to be used for manually downloading from the M$ site, always excluding IE 7, since it appears to be "bad news". Furthermore, "6" is all I need.

Yes, as noted, you can "permanently" omit IE 7 or any other suggested download when using the "Custom" mode. M$ doesn't think that is wise, however, and comes back with a shaking finger message.

{redoak}

7. Old Rich

Old Rich

What is the "bad news"?

8. escalader

escalader

No bad news on IE7 of my own, but still using IE6 for now.

Waiting for 6 months as with all new stuff from M$ or anybody else!

9. redoak

Seems there are many posts here complaing of one thing or another related to IE 7. SupposeI should have used "complaints" instead of "bad news." However, I would think the connotation would be clear.

This is the last of my posts here, good friends. My position has been made quite clear, and I did provide some helpful info early on.

{redoak}

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542507

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice