1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to remove the TCP/IP or the # of connections limit

Discussion in 'Networking' started by morland, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. morland

morland Thread Starter

Hello,

I am using XP Pro SP3 and recently read somewhere that by default there is a limit on the # of connections or something which one can have while using the net.

Is there a simply solution to bypass/kill that limit without using fancy tools like Tuneup Utilities (which I heard can do that too).

Will appreciate help. Thanks

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Its not a connections limit, its a half open connections limit, this does not affect most users, are you having problems?, if so please explain.

Increasing this limit is not recommended, they imposed this limit to mitigate the spreading of worms and malware.

3. morland

morland Thread Starter

Hi Mumbodog :)

I could be wrong but i feel that my browsing is a bit slow after i did a fresh install of XP. I really don't have any data to prove it and i suddenly remembered about the tip i read somewhere.

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

That tip won't make browsing faster and increases your risk on the internet, I don't suggest doing it.

5. morland

morland Thread Starter

Advice taken seriously and this newbie will not make the mistake (99% sure and hopeful) :) Thank you Mumbodog.

Regards.

6. morland

morland Thread Starter

Before doing a recent fresh install of XP Pro SP3 I had done some tweak and it had tweaked many things including the mysterious TCP/IP connection limit.

I have searched on google and have found mixed recommendations; some experts recommending not to mess with it while some recommending solutions (but have only been able to find it for Vista not XP).

Since the fresh install (and all updates installed) I have been regularly getting the following in the event viewer

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: Tcpip
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 4226
    Date: 04-May-10
    Time: 10:22:15 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: mylaptop
    Description:
    TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.
    For more information, see Help and Support Center at ....​

I can say for sure that my internet connection is NOT giving me the download performance what I was getting prior to the new install... The download speed that I am not getting is simply frustrating.

Can someone please help me tweak/remove the TCP/IP connection limit so that I can avail the full potential of what my bandwidth really has to offer. Ideal situation would be if you can pls recommend a tool which does all the hidden tweaks.

7. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

8. morland

morland Thread Starter

Thanks Mumbo. A quick question. The link is probably for XP SP2 while I have SP3. Will it work?

Regards.

9. morland

morland Thread Starter

I have been going crazy researching on this particular problem for the last many hours and sharing what I have come across. My questions are also listed and will request help...

Found a tip to remove and then install the network driver and then doa "XP repair install".
    Question: How do I do a XP repair install and will it mess up everything that I have installed?

BTW and if it's of any help I'm using XP's WZC (Wireless Zero Configuration) and the latest driver from intel's website to the latest version (13.1.1.1). Is the latest driver necessarily the best? Your expert comments? I also have the old version on some CD (the one which I was using previously).

Here are all the details which can probably help solve the problem in a permanent and best manner. Am listing everything that is probably relevant and is coming to mind:
    1. Have done a recent fresh installation of XP Pro SP3 (and have all the latest updates)
    2. Don't have anything falling under the P2P category even installed i.e. No Messengers (Yahoo/MSN/ICQ etc.), torrent downloader, etc. etc. What else could fall under the P2P category?
    3. When does this 4226 warning pop-up? I don't know and I recently developed the habit of occasionally checking the event viewer. Though this is a side note comment but i find it important to mention it here and now: Never used to check the event viewer and was (still am) just a naive computer users. BUT I'm learning and am keen to learn. Have learned more from the replies to my silly posts than I could have in years.
    4. ==> Is there some kind of alert that I can setup so that it pops up when certain events occur. I'm sure that there must be a good freeware out there just for this very purpose. Can you help me find one? I feel this will play a key role in helping me nip it in the bud and identify exactly when this darn 4226 and a few others actually happen! Alternative is that I constantly keep watching the event viewer like a mad scientist
    5. What things do I have in the start-up? Utilities that in my opinion I can't do without or fall under a must to have. Namely
      a) Sygate Firewall
      b) avast anti-virus
      c) Malwarebytes
      d) Spyware blaster
    6. I do have many applications installed but none of them load up automatically.

I have been researching like crazy and as I write this reply, I have checked the event viewer and currently it is NOT showing the 4226 warning. Read a tip and ran netstat -anb from Run | cmd and looked for entries with the SYN_SENT label. Nothing...

This is where I have 3 extremely important requests:

• After what I have been reading during the past couple of hours, I really don't want to try the so called tcp/ip patch because a lot of people seem to label it as snake oil and the more i read, the more convinced I am becoming.. I guess going back to your original suggestion and to which I agreed!
    • ==> Can you help me find something that will address point #4. I need to know exactly when this darn 4226 actually kicks in. Until I can do that, all efforts probably will be in vain. For some reason i feel that this will be the key!
    • When the 4226 warning occurs the next time (and i know it will; maybe within the next 60 minutes) what do I do? Run the netstat -anb command and look for SYN_SENT rows. Then what?
    • ==> Could the problem be due to some Service which is currently set in auto mode and instead should be in manual or disbaled mode?

Thanks for your help so far and will be looking forward to your kind help after you have read and analyzed this particular post.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918321

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice