1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to remove Windows Search Live

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by jenny72, Jun 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jenny72

jenny72 Thread Starter

Hi tech guys

I've had Google as my default search engine for years but today I did a search this morning and it brings up Windows Search Live.com.

I've tried a system restore back to last week and I've looked at
    H-KEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/InternetExplorer/SearchURL (which says http://www.google.com/keyword/%s but underneath that says provider gogl)

and H-KEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/InternetExplorer/Main/Search Bar (which says http://www.google.com/ie)

and H-KEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/InternetExplorer/Main/Search Page (which says http://www.google.com).

I've been to the Google page which has the file to download to change the default to Google and done that too. Nothing has worked and I'm mightily sick of Windows Search Live by now.

Please help!

Oops! Edited to add: Windows XP. IE6, Sp2.

2. tjack

tjack

I'm having the same problem with live search. I don't know where it came from, but I can't get rid of it. I've changed every search key in the registry. I've clicked search>customize and set the options to the search engines I prefer. I even tried blocking the site through internet options>content>settings>approved sites>never. I've googled for it and this is the only place I found where its removal/deletion is even mentioned... with no solutions/suggestions as of yet. Any help will be well appreciated as I too am sick of it and have run out of ideas.

thx in advance for any help given.

xp media center, ie6, sp2

3. jenny72

jenny72 Thread Starter

I finally got rid of it, but only by changing to IE7. It was worth it though not to have that page appearing day after day.

4. tonkacat

tonkacat

tjack You should take your post to the Security thread.

5. tjack

tjack

Thanks jenny72 and tonkacat. I ended up just throwing in the towel and going to internet options>advanced tab and set it to never search from the address bar. I'd rather have the 404 page than have to see that s#!t every time I mistype an address.

If you didn't choose to install it and it's intentionally difficult to remove, it's malware. Plain and simple.

Speaking of malware, I saw, while looking for means to remove it, an article saying that live search returns web pages with malware in them at a much higher percentage than google or yahoo, when the same search terms are entered.

I saw today where microsoft claims an increase in the search marketshare from like 4 to 13% from May to June. If that is true, after this experience, it's clear how they were able to do it...

Between genuine advantage continually reporting back to them and this malware live s#!t, among other things, I'm more seriously considering looking into Linux and beginning my ascension from the darkside:)

Thanks again for your suggestions.

6. OldNGrey

OldNGrey

In IE6 select Tools | Manage Add-ons. Change the filter to "Add-ons currently loaded in Internet Explorer", select SearchAssistantOC, click the Disable radio button in the Settings section, Click OK

7. PlanetInline

PlanetInline

things I tried-

about:config ( keyword thing) did bubkiss
    Internet Options via Control Panel (allowed 3rd party browser extensions plus fixed a few other settings)
    regedit (deleted every live search entry i could find)

and now my address bar search works for searches of two words or more for google....but still live.search for just one word...go figure :eek:

the funny thing was when i got sick of my firefox searches being screwed around i thought fine, i'll switch to opera. which worked fine for 20 minutes or so and then all the opera searches switched to live search from google.

so i'm thinking its some windows thing that some crafty people are using to up live search's usage stats.

good luck with fixing it, if you find out anything else or need me to be more specific then let me know :)

PC stats
    e8400
    p5kr
    4GB
    xp black 6.0
    ff, opera, ie7

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/581393