1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to Repair I/O Magic 320GB External Harddrive Ticking Sound Problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SoulRaiderX, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SoulRaiderX

SoulRaiderX Thread Starter

So I got an external harddrive that's 320GB. My dog knocked it over and now it keeps making a ticking sound. The warranty is void so I might have to manually repair it.

This is the harddrive:
    http://www.iomagic.com/Products/sho...ProdID=I320HD35

It turns on fine, but it keeps making a strange ticking sound. It isn't getting detected by the PC. I fear a component may have fallen out of place.

Can someone walk me through how to manually repair this problem? Also, some precautions I should take? I've never done this before.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can't repair it without replacing the hard drive thats inside the enclosure. It sounds like the drive is physically damage and its arm that you hear clicking as its trying to access the drive. You could try opening up the enclosure and checking for a loose connection but I think its a faint hope.

you can get a 320GB WD IDE hard drive for $90: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144392

3. SoulRaiderX

SoulRaiderX Thread Starter

That's what I actually meant. Opening the case and fixing the problem manually. Can someone walk me through how to do it.

4. awoolf

awoolf

"Ticking" sounds from hard drives are bad, bad, bad.

Very likely, the actual hard drive inside your external enclosure is damaged. Opening the hard drive and attempting to repair it yourself is not a real option. They are manufactuered (and repaired) in "clean room" facilities, with highly filtered air. Any attempts by you to open and "fix" the drive will likely end up causing more damage.

A Google search of hard drive recovery will give you a bunch of companies who specialize in recovering data from damaged hard drives. Be prepared to spend $400 - $4000.

I would go ahead and pull the drive from the external enclosure and connect it to your PC, just to see if the same symptoms occur. If the drive works on your PC, copy the data off and buy another external drive. (I would not trust this drive after it has sustained a large physical shock.)

A. Woolf

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Your link doesn't work. But I'd assume there's just a few screws holding the enclosure together, remove them and you see be able to access the drive.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537764

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice