1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to replace 2 hard drive with 1 new one

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brownaig1, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brownaig1

brownaig1 Thread Starter

I am running Windows XP using an Abit AV8 motherboard.

I currently have two hard drives install under my IDE connection

A Western Digital IDE drive model #WD1200JB-75CRA0 that is 120GB partition as C, E and F and is Drive 2. Drive 1 is an IBM 10 GB partition as D Drive.

I want to remove both these drive and replace them with a Western Digital Serial ATA Hard drive that is 160 GB model # WD1600JDRTL. How can I do this?

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

The second drive is likely no problem. The contents can be copied after the operating system is installed on the new one.

The hard part is with the original IDE drive. Since the new one is SATA, it is unlikely that you can simply image the old to the new and expect it to boot.

3. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

If your system will permit adding a third hard drive, and you want to keep your C, D, E, and F partitions (temporarily unplug an IDE CDROM or DVDROM drive if necessary) and use the Data Lifeguard drive cloning software from Western Digital. Make sure you tell it which partition(s) to make bootable and that you want to replace the existing drive.

I haven't replaced multiple drives with one drive this way before, but I think you have to copy the partitions one at a time.

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

From the first post, is it inferred that you want to do more than simply replace the drives. You also would like to copy the OS from the first drive to the new one and have it boot?

5. brownaig1

brownaig1 Thread Starter

That correct I want to have it boot.

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Again, the hard part is with the original IDE drive. Since the new one is SATA, it is unlikely that you can simply image the old to the new and expect it to boot.

It may be possible to image the old drive to the new one and then try a repair install.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

This is possible however there are multiple problems.

1 Since you list the larger drive as drive 2, it is probable that xp installed boot files to the root of drive 1 [If that is in fact your first drive] The boot files will need to be repaired.

2 You must install the drivers for whatever sata controller you are going to use before you image the drive with the os.

3 I would not even attempt to do this with the drive makers software. With multiple partitions and drives, I would use only acronis true image and acronis disk director to do this task.

While it is possible to do this, [IMO] it is going to require at least a moderate level of computer skills. With that said you will spend a lot less time just backing up what you want to keep and clean installing xp. Copy your work / data files from the ide drives after you finish the install.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Not correct. I have imaged ide to sata quite a few times; no problem as long as the controller drivers are installed before you image.

It is also possible to take a system that is running on an ide drive and image it to a sata raid array. There is no problem going from ide>sata.

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Yept. it all depends on the controller. If the drivers are included with XP, it can work. The details are always the probelm. Like you mentioned in the post before making the edit -but which is accurate - "While it is possible to do this, [IMO] it is going to require at least a moderate level of computer skills."

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you really really want to do this task, here is how to do it.

1 With the old drives still installed, install your sata controller. If it is an add-on card, install it and the drivers. Reboot and make sure it shows correctly in device manager. If all is well, proceed with step two.

2 Install your new drive. Do not partition or format it; just install as it comes out of the box.

3 Boot with the acronis true image boot disk. Choose to clone drive and select source [your old one] and destination [new sata drive] You have the option to keep partition size the same, keep the same percentage, or resize the partitions. I would choose to keep the same size for now. Complete the clone process and DO NOT reboot. Shut the system down and remove the drive you just imaged.

4 Now boot with your acronis disk director boot disk and select manual mode. Resize your partition to leave room to copy the second disk [drive D I think you said] Make sure you finish the operations. Again shutdown DO NOT reboot. Boot with your acronis true image boot disk and copy the "D" partition [do not clone the drive rather you want to copy the partition] from the old drive to the space you created on the new one. Once you have finished, shutdown. Now pull the other ide drive from the system.

5 Reboot with your xp CD and choose repair from the first menu. We will now repair the boot files. Note this may or may not be necessary. You can see if your system will boot without doing this however I think you will need to repair the boot files. Once in the recovery console type this in hitting enter after each line.

FIXBOOT, answer Yes
    CD \
    ATTRIB -H NTLDR
    ATTRIB -S NTLDR
    ATTRIB -R NTLDR
    ATTRIB -H NTDETECT.COM
    ATTRIB -S NTDETECT.COM
    ATTRIB -R NTDETECT.COM
    COPY X:\I386\NTLDR C:\
    COPY X:\I386\NTDETECT.COM C:

Note X is the letter of your CD drive; use whatever letter is assigned to yours.

As you can see this is a somewhat involved task AND you need the software to do it. Again IMO you would be better off doing a clean install.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Bob it does not matter what controller is used. I have done this with a controller that xp does not have a driver for [promise tx4300] That is why you load them before you do the image.

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

That's excellent. Also agree that a clean install might better. Might even be faster. Might be less expensive as well.

Like I said it is "unlikely that you can simply image the old to the new and expect it to boot" and from all the steps mentioned, that seems to be the case.

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Glad you agree Bob however your post
    was incorrect. Imaging ide to sata is a straightforward task and easily accomplished.

14. brownaig1

brownaig1 Thread Starter

Clean install sounds good but I have some files and programs that I don't want to loose. What if I remove both hard drives and install the SATA hard drive as a new hard drive and install window xp and then reinstall the other hard drive and copy the files from them?

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Apps must be installed. The reason is twofold; one you need the registry entries created during the install and two when an app is installed, it writes files to its own fold AND the windows and or windows\system32 folder.

You can copy your work / data files however programs will need to be reinstalled.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542176

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice