1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to replace a Gateway GT5012 native Motherboard? It’s that even possible?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nelll, May 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nelll

nelll Thread Starter

Hi Guys, thanks in advance for reading my post:

I have an Old Gateway Pentium D 2.80 GHz, 2GB ram DDR2, 500GB HD (model number Gateway GT5012 with a pair of LG Blu Ray Optical Drives. I am into the blu-ray wagon so I’ve been backing up my HD documentaries and most important movies and files into Blanks BD media, however, I’ve been having issues with big files and blu ray movies. It’s taking between 10-12 hour to burn files of 31GB. Movies like King Kong and Kingdom of Heaven Director’s cut will take more than 12 hours. I am using DVD Fab and my OS it’s the crappy Windows XP.

Anyway, I am trying to do a make over and I know my limitations . The specs of my motherboard says clearly that it will not support CPUs other than Pentium Ds or lower. No support for Quad cores or core 2 duo. Building a new computer it’s not an option right now. A friend of mine said that upgrading to Windows 7 will fix part of the issue, he saids that Windows XP wasn’t build for those tasks.

Here is the question:

How can I find a compatible mother board that can replace the one I have right now and supports Core 2 duo or Quad cores CPU. I want to be able to use the Gateway’s PC case and recycle some other components, they are in good condition. I called Gateway and they said they would not support any upgrade and won’t give me any info. Thanks in advance for any help that you may provide.

These are my motherboard specs:

This is the Intel® (Cortez) 945G Motherboard.

Features include:
    • Intel 945G chipset
    • Supports Intel Pentium® 4 and Celeron® D processors and Pentium D dual core processors
      • LGA775 socket
      • 1066, 800, or 533 MHz system bus
    • Memory support for DDR2 667, DDR2 533, or DDR2 400 MHz DIMMs, expandable up to 4 GB
    • Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900
    • Integrated Intel High Definition audio using Sigmatel® 9220
    • Intel Integrated 10/100 LAN
    • Two PCI conventional, one ×16 PCI Express, and one ×1 PCI Express add-in card slot

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

In my opinion it is a bad idea to try to change a motherboard in an OEM chassis. You may need to change some front panel wiring and possibly other chassis mods.

Additionally, the Gateway operating system cannot be used with a new motherboard unless you have encountered motherboard failure and are going to use the Gateway designated replacement motherboard.

OEM operating systems "live and die" on the machine on which they were originally installed. By changing the motherboard you have created a "new" machine and a new operating system would be required.

3. nelll

nelll Thread Starter

I guess I am stuck with what I have. I can get a copy of Windows 7 the issue it's that my CPU it's a Pentium D the Motherboard won't take the new CPUs I(not even the old ones) so I am stuck. I have my eyes on the Pentium D Extreme but I have no idea how it compares to the core 2 duo or Quad cores based on performance and it's around 200-300 (crazy right).

I know it's crazy to replace a motherboard, computer makers complicate stuff so we can't upgrade. I was thinking that if I can find a motherboard similar to mine with a better cpu support will be good but gateway said that they don't support those type of upgrades. It's frustrating, thanks for your advice.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Windows 7 is $180. A new motherboard an CPU is at least another ~$150-$200. I wouldn't stick any money into your existing system or any of its hardware.

5. nelll

nelll Thread Starter

Yeah I know but I don't have to buy Windows 7, my friend has the 64Bit version, I was looking into a motherboard that supports the old quadcore and replace mine with it, but it has to fit on my Gateway. I was thinking that with less than $250 I could solve the issue but it's more complex than that. I was hopping that somebody could tell me a compatible motherboard, maybe another Gateway GT but with a superior Mobo and Cpu that could fit on mine. It seems that I am out of options.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Is the copy of Windows 7 that your friend has a full retail version that has not been used and activated on another computer? If not, you'd need to buy your own copy.

7. nelll

nelll Thread Starter

He is an IT guy he has the corporate version, that's the one he uses to install windows 7 in all his machines. I guess I am gonna have to build my own PC, one thing it's for sure, I won't buy retail computers ever again.

8. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    in other words what u are telling us is that he has a volume license key which unless im missing something is to only be used in a business setting for many machines or only for his personal use and not to be shared.i think u would be better off buying your own copy of windows 7.unless a computer is brand new and still has a warranty replacing a motherboard on a computer can be very expensive and not worth fixing and in most cases u are better off buying another computer.

9. fang508

fang508

Yes a C2D/Q is expensive but, off ebay i picked up 4gb of ddr3 ram a motherbaord and a phenom II Quad core 805 (2.5 ghz) for a miniscule 147$ if you have a case+psu you could buy a system under 300, moving over the drives from the old and reinstalling windows..

10. nelll

nelll Thread Starter

Dude I really value that you took time to look into the issue and gave your opinion, however, Where I get the Windows 7 or if I borrow it, or even if I use a pirate copy of Winodws 7 it's not the issue. I didn't really say anything about a software problem. My issue was with the Mobo and CPU and you already said that I need to buy a new PC. Thanks for posting.

11. nelll

nelll Thread Starter

Thanks Fang for your advice. I was hopping somebody could've done something similar but building a new computer it's getting cheaper everyday, It seems obvious that I am stucked with the Pentium D CPU on this particular computer.

I am looking into the option you just mentioned. I may use the hard drive, I can also use some SATA Cables, probably the media reader (SD, Memorystick), there are Mobos from Gigabit that can use DDR2 and DDR3 ram, I could give it a try but I am sure performance it's gonna be an issue and I will be better off buying DDR3. I am looking into the unlock Core i5 2500k to pair with the H67 or Z68 mobos whichever gives me the best bang for the buck. I am into the Blu-Ray thing (backing up a bunch of video and data on BD-R) so gaming it's not a priority for me, Any moderate GPU will do the job.

12. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    excuse me but im not a dude and if u do use a pirated copy of windows 7 or any other operating system its a very big issue and i dont think u will get much help on the forums.

13. valis

valis Moderator

Yes, it actually is a problem, as that is illegal, and we do not assist with illegal activities.

You will need to purchase your own copy of W7 legitimately.

14. valis

valis Moderator

I've spoken with other moderators and admins, and we are in agreement that the original question here is about copying Blu-Ray, and that is against the site rules:
    As a result, closing thread.

thanks,

v

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/996620

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice