1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to replace CMOS battery on Dell Desktop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wilson1973, Sep 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wilson1973

wilson1973 Thread Starter

My friend has a Dell desktop and had the following message on his screen "Alert,system battery voltage is low"strike the F1 key to continue,F2 to set up the utility,Press F5 to run onboard diagnostics

I said to him that I think it's beacuse he unplugs his pc for weeks at a time as he doesn't use it often and probabaly needs a new CMOS battery,is this correct?And if so is it safe to do while the machine is switched on so when he switches batteries he doesn't lose any settings etc?
    Failing that would it be cheap to get a local pc shop to replace it for little money?
    Or is it not that and maybe something different?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    I would not recommended doing anything to a PC while it is powered on. If you open the case, it should be off.

Also, if the battery is failing/failed, it won't matter if it's removed.

They are generally fairly simple to replace. The hardest part is often access.

3. wilson1973

wilson1973 Thread Starter

Thanks,would any settings etc in bios or anything else have to be reset when the battery is replaced with the pc being switched off and no battery in place for a moment?

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Shouldn't, but it tends to vary by motherboard. I've had some that reset back to default when the battery is dead (dead would be the same as removed). So if anything was going to occur, it would have already. In any case, it would be advisable to review the BIOS settings after the replacement. But it's not really necessary unless something isn't working properly.

5. lynx1021

lynx1021

What is the model of the desktop and "service Tag".

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1232557

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice