1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How To Replace SCANREGISTRY And SYSTEMTRAY In The Startup List For Windows 98/ME

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by flavallee, Aug 25, 2005.

Advertisement
  1. bringmoney

bringmoney

What purpose do these items serve, other than Windows 98 won't work without them?
    I noticed about 2 months back that my ScanRegistry was not in msconfig startup anymore. However the computer seemed to work fairly well w/out it.
    Thanks much for your post as I have just added ScanRegistry back where it belongs.

2. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

3. bringmoney

bringmoney

Thanks for the reply. Your help is greatly appreciated.

4. flavallee

You're welcome. :) (y)

5. garyandrews

garyandrews

I don't know if the info on this post applies to me as well, I just looked at my startup list. I can see the sys tray, but no scan reg, I have a pavilion 9720 with ME.

Could that explain some problems I occasionally have,

'cannot upgrade file %1 from %2' repeated a load of times after doing an virusscan update?

6. flavallee

Not having ScanRegistry in the startup list is not going to cause problems with your computer.

The problem is likely with McAfee VirusScan. :mad: (n)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7. garyandrews

garyandrews

Yes possibly. I've been told how to fix it a few times. Something to do with a winninit file. It works for so long. Then returns.

Regarding the scan registry, I've put that back on now anyway.
    So why would it be removed, I'm sure it used to be there. Does something make it go, like an error or something?

8. flavallee

I can't advise you how and why it disappears from the startup list. :confused:

You've got it back in the startup list, and that's the main thing. (y)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/393552