1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to replace the clock battery in a laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dk518, Sep 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dk518

dk518 Thread Starter

I have an IBM 770x that won't start because of the 173 163 problem. So I've got a replacement battery, but I can't figure out how to get the old one out. So who's done this before?

Thank you.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I've never taken that particular laptop apart, but I've taken a lot of them apart, they're all different.

I'd see if you can find some detailed instructions before you start taking screws out, because taking the wrong ones out can be a PITA! Don't ask me how I know this. :D:D:D

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Draw a diagram of where they all came from, I 'think' I did the same thing as john :D :D :D Still have leftover screws :D

4. Lurker1

Lurker1

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Hell, that's an easy one! I put one in a laptop that I had to completely disassemble, then solder the battery to the MB and assemble it again! This one looks like it was designed to be replaced. :D:D:D

6. dk518

dk518 Thread Starter

Lurker, Perfect! It made me feel kinda dumb that all it is, is a spring!

Thank you.

DK

7. Lurker1

Lurker1

You are welcome. Usually replacing a laptop CMOS battery is a pain like johnwill said. It looks like someone at IBM was on the ball when they designed this. :)

8. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hey- people at IBM are always on the ball- I know this because my sister married one!:)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165199

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice