1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to Rescue Data from External Hard Dive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LondonLod, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LondonLod

LondonLod Thread Starter

Hi, please help...

My 3 month old Buffalo external hard drive has developed some serious issues- On running PC Inspector I get the following message

"Error no.27
    drv: 129 Lba:0 Blocks:2"

Every time I click "Ignore" the Lba value goes up by one.

I have tried freezing it, but no joy. Any ideas ?

Thanks

2. xXPing_PongXx

xXPing_PongXx

There is a program called Active Undelete, it will scan your hard drive when it corrupted or messed up. This program really works, I've recovered missing files from a flash drive even. Give it a try, let me know.

http://www.active-undelete.com/

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

What is the drive's actual status right now? Does it appear in explorer and have a drive letter? Does it appear in Disk Management and what is its status there? Does it appear in Device Manager?

Have you tried it on another machine?

When you say "developed", what was the exact sequence of events?

Can you hear it spin up?

Is it your impression (if you have one) that it is a software or hardware problem?

This is why it is always necessary to have data backed up.

4. LondonLod

LondonLod Thread Starter

Thanks guys for your help,

The drive is recognized in device manager and the drive icon is there on the bottom right, but not straight away...

When I attach it the light blinks once, I can then hear it bleeping faintly, which lasts for about 10 mins...only then does it become recognized...When running pc inspector the light blinks once every 3.5 secs, but is otherwise off and the drive is silent... as if its pretending to be dead !

Thanks again

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Check Disk Management.

Right-click Computer > Manage > Disk Management

or go to Start > Run, and type:

diskmgmt.msc

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

What does it say about the partition?

Have you tried it on another machine?

6. LondonLod

LondonLod Thread Starter

Elvandil

I have tried it on another pc ( win 7 and vista) It had been working on both previously

Before it blanked out, I recall hearing the faint bleeping noise for about 2 days

When it bleeps and if I put it to my ear I can hear a whirring noise which goes up and down, as well as a faint clicking sound, these noises lasts about 10 mins before it is recognized

Thanks

7. LondonLod

LondonLod Thread Starter

Xxping ...
    Thank you for your suggestion..I will try that and let you know

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Do you have enough room on your main drive to hold all the data from the external if you could recover it? Or any other place to move it to?

9. LondonLod

LondonLod Thread Starter

In computer management it comes up as Disk one Unknown, when I right click on it only get two options .e. properties and Help

10. LondonLod

LondonLod Thread Starter

Not at the moment - it is holding approx 400gb's - Is there hope ?

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

It sounds like the file system (or partition) is damaged. The files are probably still intact.

But....even if you manage to get access to them, you will need to back them up so this doesn't happen again. So give some thought to that. And again, even if we get access to those files, it would be best afterward, provided the drive is usable, that we clear it and repartition. So again, the data would need to be backed up.

We can start by simply trying to restore the partition. This tool is not the easiest to use, but works miracles at times. Most times you simply choose the defaults. You need to remember to write the changes to disk when at the end. You can read the docs for help, but it will involve some guessing. But, and this is a big "but", if you make a mistake, you won't lose your files. So you can go back and try again. It only affects the partition table and not the files and folders.

Testdisk (for Windows)
    Testdisk on Live CD (Try the CD and boot from it if you can't access the drive with Testdisk through Windows. The CD uses Linux drivers and they may have more success. It is even possible that you could access your files from the CD, but you would need to have somewhere to move them to. But you could try the repair from the CD and then try again to use the drive in Windows.)

-----------------------------------------------------

Here are some others that you can look at if Testdisk fails to be of use:

Free:

Diskinternals Partition Recovery
    Partition Wizard Boot CD
    DriveRescue
    Testdisk Boot Disk
    Partition Find & Mount
    Free DTIData NTFS Partition Repair Tool

Commercial:

Diskinternals Partition Recovery (Demo)
    [email protected] Partition Recovery
    Bootmaster Partition Recovery
    ZAR Partition Recovery
    DIY DataRecovery DiskPatch
    Partition Table Doctor
    Nucleus Kernel Recovery for NTFS

12. LondonLod

LondonLod Thread Starter

Thank you so much

I will give these a go and let you know how I get on

What a great service you guys provide !

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

I hope it turns out that way for you.

14. xXPing_PongXx

xXPing_PongXx

Hope it all works out, let us know.

15. LondonLod

LondonLod Thread Starter

Hi Guys

So far no joy having tried a number of the tools you suggested including Active undelete and testdisk. The drive is showing as not ready,or recognized...I will try a few more and let u know... Thanks again

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975439

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice