1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to reset an Admin Password without Pass. Reset Disk

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by TheHistoryPress, Mar 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheHistoryPress

TheHistoryPress Thread Starter

Afternoon,

Having recently (today) inherited my company's IT support role (Without any real training / qualifications :rolleyes:) I'm coming across a number of small issues, one of which is the following:

All machines at my company are independently managed by their own (local) Administrator account, across the board the Username and Pass to access the Admin account is the same... except for a single machine.

It seems this machine has a differing password to the other machines, unfortunately the previous administrator is no longer contactable, I however require access to the administrator account. To the best of my knowledge he didn't set-up a Password Reset Disk either.

I've read about various 3rd party tools which can enable the resetting of the Administrator Password but am loathe to try them without first hand confirmation of their validity etc (On my head be it and so forth)

Is there any method to determine what the Admin pass may be, or should I plump for a 3rd party tool to aid in the resetting of the pass? If so, does anyone have any suggestions for which to use?

If it makes any difference, the machines are networked to a Mac Xserve server - though as I understand it, I wont be able to access locally stored passwords through the server itself?

Many thanks for any light that can be shed upon this issue

Mike

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Sorry but this from TSG site rules:
    "- Please do not ask for assistance with forgotten passwords and/or bypassing them. As there is no way to verify the actual situation and/or intentions, no assistance will be provided".

3. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!