1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to Restore a Clone from external hard drive back to PC

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by gtrainer, Sep 9, 2019.

1. gtrainer

gtrainer Thread Starter

Hi,

So I cloned Windows 7 from an older Dell laptop using Macrium Reflect Free on an external WD external hard drive. Maybe not the best way to do it but did not want to crack open a machine, swap drives etc. I then updated the laptop to Windows 8. I am going to see if the laptop can take either W8.1 or Win 10. If not I want to revert back to Win 7 using the clone.

What I am not 100% clear on is the exact steps to take to restore the laptop to Windows 7 using the cloned image. Do I need to use the rescue disk?

Please advise how best to proceed.
    Thanks in advance.

2. SeanLaurence

SeanLaurence

First Name:
    Sean
    You should have a rescue disk regardless. Make the CD/DVD or USB disk and test it before proceeding. If your hard drive was to fail, you would need someting to boot from and have the Backup software available on in order to restore the backup.
    BTW, you don't need to udate windows 7 -> 8 -> 8.1 -> 10.
    Just create the Windows 10 intallation media onto a USB Key drive and run that from your desktop.
    A recent release does have a quirk with not wanting to work with the plugged in USB drive. I am not sure if it is still an issue. To get around, you can copy the contents of the USB into a folder on your HDD and run setup from there.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1232753

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice