1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to Restore a Compaq computer with Windows XP without disk?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by BrianaH, May 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BrianaH

BrianaH Thread Starter

Alright. I have a Compaq Presario with windows XP on it that I want to restore like it just came out of the factory. I don't have any money for a new disk for it, let alone a new computer, but it wont even go to the windows start up screen anymore. I can press F11, but I can't find anything that has to do with restoration for it. I don't care about backing up anything, I just want my computer to work again. Can someone please help?

2. raybro

raybro

Try F10. That is access to the recovery partition on the Compaq I've been working on for the last 2 days. If that works, you will get all the crapware that comes with the machine from the factory.

Raybro

3. Cybershaman

Cybershaman

I concur with raybro. Store bought rigs almost always have a special partition on their hard drives that has a complete package of everything that your machine came with. The trick is finding out which magic key to press while you boot up to access it. Just think, years ago, I used to delete those partitions when I did clean installs on people's machines. Oh, dopey me! :p Bad, Cyber! Bad! hehehe... ;)

4. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

What's the model number of that Compaq Presario?

If you don't know for sure, look at the HP sticker and advise what the product number is.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Depending on how old that computer is, it either came with a recovery CD kit or it came with a built-in recovery partition.

---------------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/994901