How to retrieve data files from an old dead HHD?

tradesource

Hey tech guys,
I have an old hard disk drive was using it in my old PC with Windows 7 OS,
This old hard disk bought new installed with the pc back in 2008, brand name: Seagate, 230 GB,
and this was removed from the CPU around 4 years ago,
I need to find old Skype chat history files that were saved there recorded in the year 2016.
I tried to do the online backup but found stored data till April 2017,
unfortunately, couldn't find in the cloud date older in the year 2016,
the only option to retrieve the old log files of skype is to dig in my old hard disk,
I took to a repair shop, but could not start / open the hard disk, just show as still loading,, and loading for about 20 mints,
The technician told me this is a dead hard disk, the only option is to take it to another specialized technical shop where they can open the assembled cover of the HDD and take the sliced disk one by one and read the data, but this is high cost and worthless to pay such amount of just retrieve a small file,
is there any way that you can advise how to do and recover or something that can I do to retrieve this old file history back in 2016?
Please advise, thanks in advance!

Oddba11

Jim
Sounds like the drive is still inside the old computer?

Remove the HDD from computer and try attaching it to your current PC. You could connect it internally or externally via a USB adapter or external enclosure.

Assuming the drive is good, you should be able to browse the drive.

tradesource

it not inside the CPU case,,
I mentioned it was removed many years ago,
I took it to a repair shop, but can't read any...

Oddba11

Jim
So if the repair shop is stating that it's bad, then your only option is a data recovery company. This process is expensive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online