1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to safely remove server 2003 from a dual boot with windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by gpix13, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gpix13

gpix13 Thread Starter

Alright, so I have two hard drives in my computer; one has Windows 7 on it and the other has Windows Server 2003 on it. I no longer want to use windows server 2003, and I could use the hard drive somewhere else. What I want to know is: What is the safest way to remove that drive from the dual boot and format it without screwing up the boot record for Windows 7. I still want to have windows 7 (to clarify), I only want it on my pc and I want to completely get rid of Server 2003. So, again, what is the safest way to do this without screwing up the boot record for windows 7?

Regards,
    Gpix

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If the Master Boot Record (MBR) is on the Windows 7 drive there will be no problem; you can leave it as phantom dual boot or remove the Server 2003 as an option.

If the MBR is is on the other drive after disconnecting it you will need to boot to the Windows 7 installation DVD and repair the boot. If you don't have this disc then use Windows 7 to create a repair disc: Start - All Programs - Maintenance - Create a System Repair Disk.

If you don't know where the MBR is just disconnect (or disable in BIOS) the Server drive and see if you can boot. :)

3. gpix13

gpix13 Thread Starter

Awesome, thank you so much! One of the best responses I've ever gotten at a forum.

Gpix

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome, and thank you. :) Now, more importantly, have you succeeded?

5. gpix13

gpix13 Thread Starter

I am back! And I bring good news. I have successfully accomplished removing the drive. I could boot to my windows 7 drive even while server drive was disconnected. So I just booted into 7, formatted the drive, went to advanced boot settings and changed time to display options to 0, as well as set 7 as my main OS. So now, it just boots straight into 7 when I turn on my PC. Again, thank you so much for the reply and checkback.

-Gpix

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Good to hear! You are welcome, again. :)

You can mark this solved using the [​IMG] button at the upper left of the page.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!