Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How to save a Word document as a PDF file?

13K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  luvduvs 
#1 ·
Hey all, I was wondering if you can save a Word document as a PDF file and if so, how?

Thanks.

#3 ·
I have word and Openeoffice which is free and can be downloaded and is almost identical to Word.

I opened an existing word document which had pictures in, into OpenOffice.org Writer.
I then Clicked on File, Export as PDF... (follow nose from then on) and when ready click on Export. Bobs yer uncle.

I them opened adobe reader and loaded the new pdf file. It was perfect.

That process doesn't cost you any extra money and is perfectly legal.

#5 ·
I echo WhitPhil.
Download and install CutePdf.
It is a free download and works superbly.
You will need to download two small files. The convertor and and Cute PDF. First Install the convertor and then CutePDF.
It will then add an aditional printer to you printer lists called CutePDF Writer.
Then you can simply print your word document, except select Cute PDF Writer. It will then bring up a save window. Save your file to a convinient spot. It will then save the document as a PDF.
What is really cool is that you can use it from any programme which has a print function. Works with both XP and Vista operating systems.

#6 ·
That sounds good.

It doesn't bother me as I have both Word and Open Office.

However Open Office users have got that facilty anyway.

#8 ·
Something I was unaware of until recently-- I exported a file from OpenOffice as .pdf and it worked fine---- UNTIL I tried to copy/paste from that file.

Someone here recommended pdfCreator as a better fit for my application (which I already had on my computer)--- did the same export (this time via the pdfCreator "printer" on my printer dialog)----- Now I can copy/paste from the resultant file.

My conclusion; I will print through pdfCreator rather than OpenOffice export to pdf feature--- Just in case I need the copy/paste feature at a later time.

letchworth

#9 ·
letch are you sure that it did not Export from OpenOffice as an Image within a PDF file and there are settings to change that will change how it exports? I do not have OpenOffice, but just wanted to give you something to think about.

#10 ·
Good question- however, when I checked out the permissions in OpenOffice, this is the page that seems most appropriate. You will notice that the area that speaks about permission to copy text is selected (however gray). I have assumed that means it is the default without supplying a password. I do not see anything that allows you to change that otherwise.

Again, the .pdf file looks fine- just that when copying a portion including text, spaces and numbers (Times New Roman or Arial as well as any other type style I have used) extra letters are supplied- and occasionally gibberish. PDFCreate does not have that problem.

I appreciate your taking the time to bring up the topic-- and would appreciate any thoughts you might have.

letchworth

#13 ·
I am surprised they would have it export into a JPEG file within a PDF due to the file size it would create, but I do not see anything in there to change the export type.

#15 ·
What's even cooler is get a copy of WordPerfect 12. (Not sure about earlier editions.) But you can save/open documents in Word Format (97-2003) Users with Word 2007 should save all documents in doc format for any data exchanged outside of their own computers. Don't save docs in Word 2007 with the default docx. extension. Users who have Word 2007 with docs sent to them or created in Word 97-20003, or compatible word processing programs, such as Open Office, will have docs opened in Word 97-2003 Compatibility Mode. In WP 12, you can save documents in PDF file formats. Within WP 12, open the file by clicking on it. Than do a File, Save As, and for the Save As, select PDF format. There is no other special software required. Saving a WP doc as a PDF file will take care of the conversion for you. Than anyone who gets the file and has Adobe Reader or a compatible PDF reader can read the PDF file.

You should be able to get a stand alone full copy of WordPerfect 12 for $50 or less. It's a wonderful word processor that shamefully no longer gets the acclaim it deserves. I recently upgraded to Word 2003, but still have Word Perfect 12 for reasons such as this. It's wonderful for dealing with PDF files.

Jack

#16 ·
We tend to use eithr PDFCreator (lovely little prog, that) or PDF pro to create PDFs. IF yo uneed to edit after it had been converted, you will need PDF pro, or a similar product- copying in a pdf is nigh on impossible otherwise :)

#17 ·
What's even cooler is get a copy of WordPerfect 12. (Not sure about earlier editions.) But you can save/open documents in Word Format (97-2003) Users with Word 2007 should save all documents in doc format for any data exchanged outside of their own computers. Don't save docs in Word 2007 with the default docx. extension. Users who have Word 2007 with docs sent to them or created in Word 97-20003, or compatible word processing programs, such as Open Office, will have docs opened in Word 97-2003 Compatibility Mode. In WP 12, you can save documents in PDF file formats. Within WP 12, open the file by clicking on it. Than do a File, Save As, and for the Save As, select PDF format. There is no other special software required. Saving a WP doc as a PDF file will take care of the conversion for you. Than anyone who gets the file and has Adobe Reader or a compatible PDF reader can read the PDF file.

You should be able to get a stand alone full copy of WordPerfect 12 for $50 or less. It's a wonderful word processor that shamefully no longer gets the acclaim it deserves. I recently upgraded to Word 2003, but still have Word Perfect 12 for reasons such as this. It's wonderful for dealing with PDF files.

Jack
UPDATE: WordPerfect 12 is only recommended for Windows XP and lower. The program is not recommended or supported with Windows Vista. Corel users who wish to keep WordPerfect for Vista would need to purchase a Corel Office Suite package, such as Corel Office X3. This software is fully compatible with MS Word Documents and similar file formats, and supports not only the ability to save PDF file formats, but to create them as well.

Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.