1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to search for a Dollar Sign ("$") -Outlook 2007

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by degrees, Oct 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. degrees

degrees Thread Starter

:confused:Strange that Outlook 2003 used to be able to search for and find a dollar sign. My folders are indexed correctly so that's not the issue. But Outlook 2007 just isn't able to search for this type of character it seems. However if you have found a way to do it, let me know I would appreciate it as I often need to do this type iof search.

Anyone else ever had this problem and had any luck figuring it out?

2. slurpee55

slurpee55

When MS changed Outlook the little bit that they did for 2007, one thing they did was to change the HTML rendering engine for Outlook from Internet Explorer to MS Word, which is, by itself, a far poorer HTML engine.
    The theory was that IE6 had too many security holes to trust it (true) but why they just didn't switch to IE7 (now they have IE8) no one knows.
    The only real fix I know of is this - assuming you had an earlier version of Office, the Outlook in it wold have used IE. You cannot run both Outlook 2007 and an earlier version on the same PC - remove Outlook 2007 and then re-install the earlier version. That should allow you to have the abilities you had in the past.

3. degrees

degrees Thread Starter

Sigh.
    Thanks anyway for the explanation, so at least I now know not to continue going nuts trying to find a fix. No one else has been able to explain, so I appreciate it even though there is no direct solution.

4. slurpee55

slurpee55

Hmmm, just tried something in Word, since that is what is being used - make sure that you have "Use Wildcards" Un-checked. If it is checked, Word will not find dollar signs, but un-checked it will.

5. degrees

degrees Thread Starter

Thanks for the looking into this again for me. However it seems Outlook 2007 does not have such a setting as Word does in its advanced search settings, or if it did I could not find it to un-check it. The "Use Wildcards" setting seems to be in Word only and ability to set it seems to be at the time each search is done, I could not find a default setting for it.

Here is one way I found from scouring the web that seems to work, I'll post it in case anyone else is having this trouble:

Go to Tools->Instant Search. Then click on Advanced Search. Next choose the tab that says "Advanced". On the bottom left you'll see "Define more criteria" under which is the Field dropdown button. Click it then from the "Frequently-Used Fields" in my case I chosee "Message" (but can be any of the listed fields you wish to search), For the Condition select "contains" then under the "value" enter the $ (or maybe it will work also for whatever character Outlook 07 normally does not find on its Instant Search). Click Add to list button, then try the "Find Now" button - it worked for me!

I also tried setting up a rule to search for the "$" symbol and copy the messages containing it to a certain folder, then opened the folder I wanted to search, then chose to Run the Rule now..that also seems to work. When done you can always delete the contents of the folder for the next search. This method seemed much more tedious than the pior though.

6. slurpee55

slurpee55

Glad you figured something out, and please use the button at the top of the page to mark this thread as Solved.
    I'm just curious, though, if you go into Word, make the uncheck I noted, close the search in Word and then close Word, then try again in Outlook (you would have to delete your rule first) - will it find the dollar signs? I am thinking that since it uses Word as the HTML rendering engine, perhaps that saved change in Word will be applied.

7. degrees

degrees Thread Starter

I tried that and it still had the problem. But it sounded logical. Thanks anyway.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/867795

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice