How to segregate wifi users from accessing ethernet on the s

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

awisaka

Hi,

I have a setup in a restaurant.

I'm connecting several screens with Ethernet cables and connecting them via vpn to a remote office (HQ) for controlling the contents of the screens, the vpn connection is working and HQ admin can monitor and control the screens, BUT:

In the same time the restaurant is offering wifi connection to his guests using the same network.

I want to prevent the wifi users to ping or see the Ethernet network.

The router I have is Linksys E1000 which is connecting to internet service provider line and gives internet to wifi and Ethernet.

The next problem that I want to solve:
when there are many guests using the wifi the vpn connection became slow because the most bandwidth is utilized by wifi users, how can I give a limited bandwidth to wifi users and save 60% e.g. of the bandwidth dedicated to ethernet network which the vpn is using it.

The vpn HW is IPTL 71 for the restaurant, and IPTL 78 for the remote office (HQ).

Regards.

You would have to get a separate circuit for the guest wifi if you wanted it to not mingle with your normal LAN traffic. Either that or a firewall with multiple WAN ports as different gateways and point all the Wifi traffic to that gateway.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I'd personally use a SMB type firewall with wireless and ditch the E1000. My suggestion would be something like a SonicWall TZ with built in wireless. Going the SonicWall route will allow you to have wireless clients separated from your wired LAN. Will give you the option of running more than one wireless network on the same device (ie multiple SSIDs) and have separate security policies for each wireless network you set up. This will give you the option to provide another wireless network for restaurant employees/devices. You can also define bandwidth limits for each wireless network you set up.

The main reason I'm suggesting a firewall like SonicWall is for the UTM capability. You don't want to expose the business to illegal surfing activities. SonicWall has content filtering capabilities which will allow you to select what is and is not allowed by category.

awisaka

Thank you Rockn and zx10guy, I like your suggestion about the SonicWall TZ, but which model you prefer, the cheaper is the best :)

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I'd look at either the TZ SOHO wireless or the TZ300W.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online