1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to send many emails with the same body except editing the Dear xxxx in Outlook

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by ProWannaB, Dec 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ProWannaB

ProWannaB Thread Starter

I usually have to update a list of clients about the same message occasionally. The whole body of the email is the same except the recepents' name in the begining. eg. Dear John, Dear Ivan, Dear David etc.

Is there a way outlook can send 100s of emails with the same body except editing the Dear xxxx with the first name of the addressee for each email?

I am using Outlook 2007

2. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Google the term "Outlook Mail Merge" and you should be able to find plenty of info.

Regards,
    Rollin

3. MScott821

MScott821

If you need to send 100s of emails, and you will be doing this more than once, you really ought to look into getting a MailChimp or Constant Contact account.

While you may be able to send 100s of email with Outlook, it is far from ideal.

For one, your ISP may not shine to you doing so and can shut you down. Your activity will look like you are a spammer, and they do not want their IP addresses getting blacklisted since this affects not just you but all of their customers.

Also, Outlook is SLOW.

Another biggie - you probably are not in compliance with CAN-SPAM and can end up with a nasty fine.

One more - you have no way of knowing who actually opened your email.

There are other things too, but these are a few considerations as to why using Outlook as a mass email tool is just plain bad news...

4. ProWannaB

ProWannaB Thread Starter

Hey thanks guys. Helped a lot.

2 issues though. In the "Insert Greeting Line" box, the "Match Field" is a bit confusing. I had 210 contacts in total out of which for most of them it was not showing the name.

2ndly when I finally emailed it was wonderful. All the emails sent in about a minute. Felt great, nevertheless when I check there were only like 50 emails sent. I received no error report or anything

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082601

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice