1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How To Send Webpages to Gmail Account?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by referee07, Feb 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

I use Gmail for my E-mail. When I want to send a web page (or web address) to my E-mail account I can't because the only two options are Outlook Express or something called Windows Live Mail. Is there a way to set-up Internet Explorer to allow me to send web pages to my Gmail account? Thanks in advance.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    The Internet Explorer program itself can not send a page or link via e-mail. It can pass the information on to an e-mail program on your computer, like Outlook Express, that will create the message and send it for you. I am not familiar with Windows Live Mail.

You can enable POP3/SMTP access on your Gmail account and then configure Outlook Express to send and receive messages on that account (be sure to have Outlook Express set to leave incoming messages on the server if you you still want to access them them via the web mail interface.) You could then have Internet Explorer send pages and links to yourself through Outlook Express.

3. TRS-80 vet

TRS-80 vet Account Closed

I'm wondering if this person is trying to link gmail to 'mail recipient'...

rt click an item/send to/mail recipient/(gmail)

as opposed to default option - OE or WLMail

If so, then gmail has to be added to the drop-down options list...

rt click IE/properties/programs/email

I don't know where that folder is to add to the options. Or if it can be done at all - did you say in so many words, cwwoz, that it cannot?

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Gmail is not an e-mail program that you can install on your computer. It is a free e-mail service offered by Google. It has a web interface that you can access with a web browser to read and send e-mails. It also has a POP3/SMTP option to allow e-mail client applications, like Outlook, Outlook Express, Thunderbird, etc. installed on your computer to send and receive e-mails.

5. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

Thanks, guys, for the replies, and I apologize for not responding sooner. I have been able to set-up Gmail so that I can receive my E-mails on Outlook Express. However, when I try to send a message using OE, I get a dialog box asking for my password for my Gmail account and when I enter my password for this account, I get another dialog box indicating that my Gmail account could not be found on the server? Also, I have found out that I need to have Active X (with plug-ins) enabled in order to use Gmail Standard, and just read in PC World that Active X is something that can be potentially very dangerous re: malware. Do you gentlemen have any suggestions re: my sending out messages using OE as a surrogate for Gmail and the Active X thing? Thanks again.

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Did you do follow the outgoing SMTT configuration isntructions listed here:

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=13276&topic=1556

Per the instructions, you need a secure SSL connection on port 465.

You may also want to check with your ISP to see if they block any ports that may affect outgoing e-mail messages to servers that are not part of their network.

As for ActiveX, you could add Gmail to your trusted sites list for Internet Explorer and then enable ActiveX only for the trusted sites. Or you can switch to using another browser like Firefox which then uses I believe javascript on the Gmail site.

7. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

cwwozniak, yes, I attempted to follow the instructions on the link and downloaded the "Gmail POP Troubleshooter" but something is still wrong. Yesterday I was able to send and receive messages but today I am getting the error message:

Unable to logon to the server using Secure Password Authentication. Account: 'Gmail', Server: 'pop.gmail.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR not supported z15pf1450184pod', Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC18"

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543965

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice