1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to server windows laptop with screen shut?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ChineseSavior, Jan 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ChineseSavior

ChineseSavior Thread Starter

hello everyone,

I need a way to please run my windows laptop with the screen shut easily. I am using chrome remote desktop to dial in currently. The theory is If I can do this i can run 0-X numbers of windows servers in a small stack for cheap. Maybe there is a better way but I need whatever the solution is to be running regular windows.

p.s. i have tried changing the "choose what happens when lid is closed function" to do nothing.

while i am still able to dial in this literally means do nothing. I can see my desktop but cannot open close programs ete. i.e. do nothing. thanks for any help been grinding up for a while over this one!

2. ChineseSavior

no replies at all. So nobody on a computer support forum knows how to help. Either everyone is lacking the knowledge, im hated on, or ppl are lazy. Please help me friends. my goodness the forums are deaddddd these days

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

It is likely that no-one actually knows. Sarcasm will not exactly encourage anyone to help you. All the people on here are volunteers; nobody gets paid so we all are likely to have to work for a living.

I suspect you will need to remove the little switch that gets activated when you close the lid.

4. valis

valis Moderator

wait, you are wanting to use closed laptops as servers? Did I read that correct?

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It's an incredible horrible idea and that's why I didn't post anything.

6. ChineseSavior

well constructive criticism is better the blankness. so what is best practical compact way run windows remotely for least $ obv linux is easier for this purpose but want a few win 8 mACHines 4 normal programs

7. valis

valis Moderator

You would be throwing money away doing it by using laptops. Literally. No heat dissipation, too many other issue to even number.

If you are looking to set up a server farm with ten or so machines, you are going to need servers.

What is the end goal you are trying to achieve here?

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    That depends on the intended goals. There are inexpensive servers. But the other thing to consider is reliability, you get next to none with a laptop but you get lots with a proper server. The cost of replacing the wrong hardware all the time will outweigh the cost of reliable server hardware and the warranties that come with such hardware. You will also get more performance from a server then a laptop allowing you to use less individual units.

Windows 8 is not a server O/S. You need to explain what you want to accomplish in detail.

9. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I agree with the others. I'm a bit confused as to what you're setting up. If you're looking to run multiple instances of Windows on different physical laptops in sort of a server farm, you're using the wrong hardware platform.

Pending clarification on the requirements, as suggested by my colleagues, I would go with a server. You don't need to run separate servers for each instance of Windows. This is where virtualization comes in. You can use a hypervisor from VMware, Virtual Box, KVM, HyperV, Xen, etc. The advantage of using a server based platform is the management features and the failure/redundancy. Servers typically have the option to have out of band/lights out management. Dell has their iDRAC. HP has iLO. These features allow you to get to the server, bring up a console/KVM session over IP, remotely do firmware updates, attach virtual media, power up and down the server, etc, etc. Servers as stated above have redundant power supplies, ECC memory, robust RAID controllers for local disks, multi processor setups, ability to populate large amounts of RAM, and so on.

A quick note about the sarcastic remark. I almost didn't respond to this thread because of your smart alec remark. But seeing that my fellow mods and trusted advisers are chiming in, I decided to add in my input.

10. ChineseSavior

for example some of my frienda play poker on pokerstars but when they are in the usa we cant play because we have usa based ip address... there really is no way around thinga like this except running the windows machine in approved jurisdiction and dialing in remotely. thinga like this for example.windows specific programs that i need accress too from distances.

i have very limited knowledge but im sure there muat be some half easy way a dyi person could accomplish this reasonably\reliabaly

these are what i am trying to do and things aimilar. i can learn if need be

11. valis

valis Moderator

Let me see if I understand. You are in Canada, masking your IP address? And you want to set up a server farm to bypass a site's IP restriction?

12. KomputerKid

KomputerKid

What an interesting day.

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    We don't assist with bypassing restrictions such as country restrictions. In any case your approach is wrong anyways.

14. ChineseSavior

i would simply like to access my sites when i travel and remotley windows applications. I'm just trying to provide an example I also have small seo that I can run some bots on other mahins and this idea had came to mind. I feel like Triple6 is treating me like a crimnal. you cant just point me in the right direction and I learn on my own? my goodness.

f.i.y. I am a convicted felon. If you think I would ever break the law again and go to prison you can die with the rest of the internet haters. It's very hurtful to me that individuals can't simply be helpful and make kind suggestions. Have a heart.

now mr/miss Triple6 and friends. Assuming all people are criminals I already know what you're thinking. Sure he would tell us he's a convited felon to try to get us to feel bad to give him info etc. Or to say that to try to flaunt some rediculous thing. No. I can simply tell from the lack of help and based off my knowledge training and exp that you are assuming I am a liar/scammer/criminal. Esp of your last comment. Which is just sad. Help a bro out. Just trying to run some sea and web apps. if you dont want to because you think in that head of yours that i wll be on poker stars. Fine I'll go to a different form login through tor and make a different name............ lmfao rofl...

or you could google search presobama or chinese savior and see im a legit dude not looking for a damn bit of tro8uble ellelelelell

15. valis

valis Moderator

I am having a heart. But what you are doing, or trying to do, is illegal. Those restrictions were put in place for a reason, and whether or not we agree with them, we have to respect them. As a result, I'm going to have to close this.

I appreciate your understanding.

v

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141596

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice