1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how to set browser to maximize automatically

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Kenny1, Oct 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kenny1

Kenny1 Thread Starter

Is there a setting somewhere that will cause my internet explorer browser to open in the maximized state by default, even when I click on a shortcut to a web page? I thought it used to do that automatically, but lately it keeps opening in a non-maximized state and I have to manually maximize it. And before anyone suggests that I drag the edges of the window to full size, I've done that already, but that just opens the window to the largest possible non-maximized state. I still have to manually maximize the window using the box at the top right of the screen, next to the "X" box that closes the window. How do I just set it so the browser maximizes by default??? :confused:

2. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

Usually all it will take is making sure the last browser window you close is maximized when you close it. I think they (IE and FF anyway) have a "memory" and will open to the last state you used it in.

3. Kenny1

Kenny1 Thread Starter

darkmist, I wish it were that easy....

4. lilLB

lilLB

i've always had trouble with figuring this out... but i think maybe you can look at the properties of the shortcut u use to open the browser
    there should be a setting dealing with that

5. Kenny1

Kenny1 Thread Starter

yeah lilLB, I believe I saw it there before too. In fact, that was the first place I looked, but if it used to be there, it sure ain't no more!! May have been a previous edition of something, but damned if I can find it. I don't know why such a simple thing has to be so damn hard.

6. dotty999

dotty999 Dotty

well, I am told that when you set the size yourself, you then go to the file menu and close it immediately, then it's supposed to remember the size.:)

7. lilLB

lilLB

yea well i checked on mine and i see it on the shortcut to firefox so i dont know why it isn't there on ur side..
    it says "Run: " and has the choices "Normal Window", "Minimized","Maximized"

8. mrwendal

mrwendal

This is one of those frustrating things that is easily solvable, just as it is easily forgettable!

Firstly, start with no IE windows open, then open one.
    Maximise this window.
    Close the window.

New windows should open now in the state that you have set.
    The problem i have had in the past is when i've had existing windows open.
    Hope this helps.

9. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

hmmmm ... different wording but same advice, mrwendal is right. Make sure the last window you close is maximized and the next time you open a new instance of IE it will open maximized ... it is that simple. I'm sure there is probably a registry tweak that you can do to force it to always open maximized but I know it not.

10. Kenny1

Kenny1 Thread Starter

yeah guys, thanx for the feedback. Unfortunately, for reasons that are a mystery, the simple solution you describe just isn't working for me. My browser just isn't remembering the last state it was opened in. I can maximize it, close it and open it right back up and it will be in a non-maximized state again.

11. Augie65

Augie65

12. Kenny1

Kenny1 Thread Starter

Hmmm, thanks Augie, I seem to be making some progress. My internet explorer is now remembering to open in the state it was in when closed. But when I use desktop icons to open directly to websites, I still can't get the browser to open maximized. I used the method in your link for these links too, but couldn't get it to work. I'm just about to give up on this....K

13. Augie65

Augie65

If you are using shortcut icons on the desktop, right click on the icon and select Properties.
    Select the Shortcut tab and in the Run: box: select Maximized from the dropdown, then Apply and OK.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/513870