1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how to set default volume level for all xp profiles?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ahatechsupport, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ahatechsupport

ahatechsupport Thread Starter

Hello,

I have XP system with multiple users, and I need to set the Volume levels to Half the volume for all users by default. This setup will then be used as a default image and applied to other machines. I have no clue where to even begin.

2. support.clpafs

support.clpafs

Well what you need to do is create a new user account called "profile" with no password.

Then login to the account, set it up the way you want the account to appear for "new users" and then log out.

Shut down the computer then turn it back on, login to an administrator account and then go to C:\Documents and Settings and copy the entire contents of "Profile" to C:\Documents and Settings\Default (please note it is a hidden folder) so you will have to change the folder permissions to view the hidden folders.

Once this is done remove the user "profile" and then create a new user called testuser, login to the computer as test user and see if the setting you did were put into effect.

It should work, as this is the way I create layouts for all the users on our school districts network.

Also I had a question? I never had time to learn how to Clone/Image a computer and I usually just go to each computer and add it to the Active Directory. I usually install programs that the students and teachers would need but I dont want to go to every workstation to do so.

How would I setup a "master" computer, clone it, then redistribute the cloned image to all the computers?

What software is involved and is it free? I have heard of sysprep but never had time to test it out?

3. ahatechsupport

thanks for posting All of the details on how to do this. I will do the same to reply to your answers as best as i can.

1. We use Symantec Ghost. It is installed on the server, we start a ghost cast session on the server and select Create/or restore, then we use a "Netbootdisk" on the workstation to connect to the network, and then using a ghost disk start a ghost session. You can create both using the ghost server. It finds the session, and you can either create/upload an image to the server, or you can Apply/Download the image to the workstation. This is not free. I do not know of any free stuff out there, other then "EVAL" software.

2. Acronis is also a cool software(better then ghost) to Image. it will allow you to apply the image on different types of hardware.

4. support.clpafs

support.clpafs

5. support.clpafs

support.clpafs

Also. Did the Profile work?

6. ahatechsupport

it should, I can not test it out right now, but i believe this IS the solution.

7. support.clpafs

support.clpafs

Ok. Let me know if it works though.
    If not PM me and I will assist you or even create a profile for you.

Have to go now. Work is Over!!!!!!
    See you later.

-Thanks

8. ahatechsupport

it worked!!!!!!!!!
    thx for your help

9. support.clpafs

support.clpafs

Your welcome.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752596

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice