How to set up a file sharing network

PatrickMP

Hi, I've just switched to Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.1 and I'm trying to get network my PC and Laptop via ethernet (LAN). I've spent a few hours on various forums and other sites but nothing I've tried works. Some simple advice on how to set up a shared network will be greatly appreciated as I'm a novice when it comes to Linux.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
You need to set up a Samba share which will allow files on your Linux box to be shared out as a SMB/CIFS share for Windows boxes.

Like zx10guy said, you will need Samba installed on your Linux. However, before you do that, install webmin . I cannot imagine working with Linux without webmin. It makes a lot of job easier, including installing packages like Samba and others.

PatrickMP

Like zx10guy said, you will need Samba installed on your Linux. However, before you do that, install webmin . I cannot imagine working with Linux without webmin. It makes a lot of job easier, including installing packages like Samba and others.
Hi Petarian, thanks for the advice. I installed webin but when I try to open it (https://localhost:10000) it won't accept my username and password. Any ideas?
Also, I thought that SAMBA was used to link machines using LInux and Windows. Both my machines are on Linux. Do I still need to install it?

Miqw7394

Mike
@ PatrickMP :-

If what you want to do is transfer files between Linux machines, then in all honesty Samba is overkill. It automatically assumes there is a Windoze machine somewhere in the mix, and it can be an absolute PITA to set up.

Years ago, when I first started with Linux - Ubuntu 14.04 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - I too wanted to do this. Everybody recommended one of two things; either Samba, or SSH. Now, SSH (Secure SHell) is great for transferring stuff across multiple networks (like the internet), but, once again, it's complete overkill for a Local Area Network; I mean, who are you trying to protect your files from.....yourself?

As always, it's a case of using the right tool for the job.....and from the sound of things, you want to be able to transfer files'n'stuff between two 'local' machines, right?

My recommendation would be to use a simple file transfer tool.....like Dukto R6. This is a simple transfer tool, specifically designed for use on a LAN, with an easy-to-understand GUI. Best of all, there is now an AppImage of it, so you don't even need to install it (AppImages are the Linux world's equivalent of Windoze 'PortableApps'). Just download it, and give it executable permissions. Then simply click on it to run.

You'll need it on both machines, and have it running on both machines while transferring stuff.....but on a 'local' network, that's easy enough to work around.

Anything you want to transfer, just drag'n'drop onto the sending machine's Dukto GUI.....moments later, it will be received by the other machine. Don't forget to specify a location for your 'sent' files to be saved to.

You can find the Dukto AppImage here, at SourceForge:-

https://github.com/cpuuntery/dukto/releases

Mike. ;)

PatrickMP

Hi Mike, thanks so much for this.
What I'm actually trying to do is sync files on both computers. When I ran Windows I used Norton's Second Copy which ran automatically each night. So if a file was changed or added on one machine it would be done on the other.
Now, I'm using Free File Sync on the PC to back up my files to another hard drive. I was hoping to be able to use it to sync the files between the laptop and the PC. I'd really appreciates any ideas on how I'd be able to do this on Linux.
Thanks again.
Cheers,
Patrick

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online