How to set up a wireless LAN to WAN bridge with Ausu routers

Kevin254

Pi-hole has a habit of crashing in the middle of the day when family is working. Fixing it takes some time which is unacceptable to them. I am using an Asus router with Merlin firmware. Pi-hole is Version 5.0 so it has the groups feature, but if the pi crashes , the by-pass feature using groups is useless.

Path 1) run another Pi-hole on separate Pi for redundancy.

OR path 2: The fix I Was thinking was: have a separate wifi for my devices that uses pi-hole as DNS. I want to leave my primary router and its wifi untouched, so under normal circumstances people use pi-hole based wifi. In case pi crashes, quickly shift to the other wifi.

The 2nd Asus router works as a LAN to WAN bridge and has a different subnet / wifi SSIDs / Pi-holes etc, so acts like a complete separate network.

From what I have read, in Bridge mode (called media bridge) 2nd Asus will not broadcast wifi. I don't want to run a LAN cable between the 2 routers (impractical) and if I keep them close i have noticed 2 wifi routers running close by interfere a lot.

I am not too bothered about the speed, I have read repeater/bride mode splits BW by 50%, I am ok with that.

If anyone has such a scenario running, please help.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
If your issue is the DNS server crashing on your Pi, just add in a secondary DNS server as a backup in case the primary goes down. This way you don't have to mess with having to set up a completely different layer 2 network which contains a specific DNS server you're looking to do as a backup.

Kevin254

Pi-hole has a habit of crashing in the middle of the day when family is working. Fixing it takes some time which is unacceptable to them. I am using an Asus router with Merlin firmware. Pi-hole is Version 5.0 so it has the groups feature, but if the pi crashes , the by-pass feature using groups is useless.

Path 1) run another Pi-hole on separate Pi for redundancy.

OR path 2: The fix I Was thinking was: have a separate wifi for my devices that uses pi-hole as DNS. I want to leave my primary router and its wifi untouched, so under normal circumstances people use pi-hole based wifi. In case pi crashes, quickly shift to the other wifi.

The 2nd Asus router works as a LAN to WAN bridge and has a different subnet / wifi SSIDs / Pi-holes etc, so acts like a complete separate network.

From what I have read, in Bridge mode (called media bridge) 2nd Asus will not broadcast wifi. I don't want to run a LAN cable between the 2 routers (impractical) and if I keep them close i have noticed 2 wifi routers running close by interfere a lot.

I am not too bothered about the speed, I have read repeater/bride mode splits BW by 50%, I am ok with that.

If anyone has such a scenario running, please help. https://19216881.org/ https://1921681001.link/ https://19216801.digital/
thank you for your advice bro

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts