1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to set up a wireless router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by GLYNNROY, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GLYNNROY

GLYNNROY Thread Starter

I want to set up a wireless router to my laptop and my home computer so that they both can connect to the internet, I suppose that’s what you have routers for isn’t it.

Can any one point me in the right direction on how to actually set this thing up, in conjunction with both laptop and home computer, is there a idiots guide or flow chart out there, on how to do this, as I am having major problems and haven’t got a clue where to start.

Also what about security and firewalls and antivirus which computer do I put them on, both or just one of them, very confused please help.:eek:

2. GUSMAN

GUSMAN

It would be handy to know what internet conection you have ? ie broadband/cable with a modem? what make router would be ok too, just a few things to clear the way.

And seeing your in the uk, mebbe who is providing it, ntl, bt, etc?

Its pretty easy really and hopefully we can help you sort it out.

Gus

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Using a computer connected to the router via ethernet login to the router and assign an SSID (don't leave it at default). Then connect a computer via wireless. If there are other wireless networks on the same or close channel, change your router's channel. Then enable WPA2 or WPA-PSK encryption on the router. Reconnect the wireless computer. Connect any other computers desired.

I would not want to access the internet with any computer w/o an anti-virus program. Both the router and Windows XP's firewall give adequate protection from incoming attacks. If you feel the risk of outgoing attacks (e.g., spyware "calling home" with your personal information) is high enough, add a 3rd party firewall and turn XP's off.

Two or more anti-spyware/adware programs are pretty much necessities also. Windows Defender Beta and Lavasoft's Ad-Aware are popular ones.

4. GLYNNROY

GLYNNROY Thread Starter

what internet conection you have Broadband with a voyager 105

who is providing it aol

1.Do I have to install the software for the router

2.Is it possible to use router without using the modem

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    1. No.

2. Yes, but you, of course, won't have internet access unless the router is a modem/router combo.

6. GLYNNROY

GLYNNROY Thread Starter

Ok then So how do I do it then.........:eek:

So my set up is

1.home computer-broadband-aol-modem

I have a wireless router and I want to get my laptop on line by using the router and also have the internet connection for the home computer.

What and where do I put my connections,this is what I am asking am am mew to this and would like some help please,I know you said use ethernet login to the router and assign an SSID but that means nothing to me.A guide of step throughs would help,sorry for being new to this hope you can help me a tad more please.:D

7. rad_unscarred

rad_unscarred

what type of router are you using ? brand?

8. rad_unscarred

rad_unscarred

here's some steps. maybe this helps
    1.you need to place the dsl modem into bridge mode (you can contact your isp tech support if you need help in bridging your modem )
    2. after the modem is placed into bridge mode / connect the modem to the router via ethernet connection
    3 turn on the modem and router / access the gui (graphical user interface) open internet explorer / type in the address bar ( 192.168.1.1 and hit enter )
    4. it will bring up the router interface / navigate the page until you can see some boxes where you can type in the username and password / (username and password is provided by your isp )
    5. enter the username and password in the specified box and make sure the PPP connection type that you are going to select is PPPOE
    6. if it still wont work / call your router manufacturer

9. GLYNNROY

GLYNNROY Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply

JUst one thing------------------You said--------------

3 turn on the modem and router / access the gui (graphical user interface) open internet explorer / type in the address bar ( 192.168.1.1 and hit enter )

Would I do this in my laptop or my home computer or both............

That seems pritty easy to follow

I will give it a go

10. linskyjack

linskyjack

It doesn't matter which one you do it in.

11. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Have you read the manual for your router? I guarantee it's full of very useful information including many step--by-step instruction sets for completing various tasks.

You could post the make and model of your router here and someone could download the manual for you and then post snip-its from it for you to follow, but I think you could get many of your questions answered by reading it through yourself.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Is your modem actually a modem/router combo? Is it a modem with only a USB connection?

If you don't know, and can't tell from its description or User Guide, please post the brand and model.

If it is a modem/router combo then rad_unscarred's way is one solution; there is also another which requires no changes to it.

If the modem has only a USB connection then you need to replace it, or use ICS on the computer connected to it. Don't wanna write any more details until we know with what we are dealing.

13. GLYNNROY

GLYNNROY Thread Starter

Hi guys sorry for being stupid you have my apologies.

The routers name is Net gear DG834G it is part of AOL package.

I have a set through cd guide but the problem is, which computer do I put the cd installation software on, I know I said it is broadband silver that I am upgrading to, but the home computer has at the minute is dial up and the laptop has nothing on it.

If I put the cd installation on the home computer, how can I connect to the internet with my laptop if there is no desktop icon, like there would be on the home computer.Should`nt there be a icon for me to connect to the internet so I can double click on it, this would mean then I put the installation cd on both computers wouldn’t it. Because I have not had experience of this before it’s hard for me to get my head round. I know what you will say ask AOL but the language barrier is a major problem especially when they speak in Pakistani

I know I am stupid but I have to start somewhere:eek:

14. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The difficulty is that you're using AOL which almost no one here uses. You may have to take some different steps to get this setup working. Is there a reason you want to stay with AOL rather than a regular broadband provider?

It looks like you have a wireless router/modem combination device. This means you can ignore the instructions on setting it up in bridge mode.

You may need to install some type of AOL software on both computers. Again, having no experience with it, I can't provide specific steps. I would suggest calling AOL support and asking them to walk through this with you.

15. rad_unscarred

rad_unscarred

ok. you dont need to insert the disc in both computers. You just need to connect one PC via ethernet ( initially) for you to integrate the isp username and password in the your router, as soon as you have already saved the username and password in the router

You can just simply detach the ethernet cord,( you will know if the wireless router is sending some traffic if the wireless light will blink / flickers )

After pulling out the ethernet cord, in your laptop " win xp; i pressume "
    **make sure the wireless switch on your laptop is turned on ***
    1. click start
    2. control panel ( switch to classic view)
    3. network connection
    4. right click on the wireless network and select VIEW AVAILABLE WIRELESS NETWORK
    5. you will see the netgear name
    6 connect to it .
    7. easy ... right ?

DO THE SAME WITH THE DESKTOP PC

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541459

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice