How to set up hybrid RAID?

Smasmung

Hello, I am running 2 500 Gb samsung 980 pro SSDs and a 1 tb samsung 860 Evo SATA drive. I want to set up my disks so that the 2 samsung NVMEs run as one, and the 1 tb as a mirrored volume. The 1 tb drive runs about 10x slower, so I was wondering if I could set my system up with the 2 NVME drives in raid 0 with the SATA drive as a mirrored volume, and if this would slow down read and write speeds. If this is plausible I also need some help with how to set it up.

crjdriver

You can probably setup the two samsung drives in raid0 however this is NOT going to be cheap. You need a bootable nvme controller card like this one;
https://www.newegg.com/highpoint-ss... RAID&cm_re=nvme_RAID-_-16-115-298-_-Product#
Next you cannot make the third drive part of the array since there are only places for two drives. You could use something like acronis to image the array and store the image on the third drive.

Just my opinion however I think this is NOT something you would want to do for a few reasons;
1 Raid of any type is not for the home user. Raid is for servers that need the redundancy and the hot swap capability
2 You lose the speed of pci4 since the controller card is only pci3
3 You double the chance of failure using raid0 since the data is spread across two drives. When one drive fails, you lose everything

I did not find any pci4 nvme raid controllers however these may exist; again they would NOT be cheap.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online