1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how to set XP to lock computer after set amount of time

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by PanamaKevin, Feb 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PanamaKevin

PanamaKevin Thread Starter

Jan 2, 2008
    I know this is probably an amatuer question but I am running XP professional and want to find out how to set it so that it will lock the pc after a set amount of time when the user has been away. I don't want it to log out, just lock the pc, like when you go to the switch user screen, only automatically... thanks in advance
  2. Wanderer2

Jan 28, 2008
    That is a setting in the screen saver properties. You can set time and require a password.
  3. stantley

May 22, 2005
    An easy way to do it would be to go into Power Options, set the time for the system to go into Standby, then go to Advanced and check 'Prompt for password when computer resumes from standby'.

So at a time you designate the computer will go into Standby (a low power state) and then when the mouse or keyboard is touched a password will be required to get back into Windows.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/685616