1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how to setup a wifi home network?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by idiodumb, Oct 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. idiodumb

idiodumb Thread Starter

Hello all.

I have a dir-615 D-link router. It is well installed with my main computer that is an old XP windows system.

I tried to create a network to give acces to my friend laptop when he comes home(he has a mac). I setuped a network with a name and a password.

So my friend could find the network name and i gave him the password, but it never works. Another friend of mine also came with an older iBook laptop and the same thing happens.

What should I do ? The laptop computer can see my network, but nobody can access??

Best regards to all. Idiodumb

2. idiodumb

idiodumb Thread Starter

welll explained problem: Ok I think my problem is quite simple, but enigmatic to me... I have a PC connected to a router D-link Dir-615. Internet Works with my PC. I have established a network and I have a name for the network + password. My laptop can see my network among others networks from neighbors around. So when I chose mine and give the password, it cant connect to it.

Sorry about my English

3. khaletech

khaletech

Have you verified that you are using the same encryption schema between the router and the device/machine attempting to connect to it?

e.g. be sure that if you selected WPA2 on the router, that the device/machine attempting to connect to it is trying to use WPA2 as well. If the router is using WPA and the device/machine attempts to connect (with the right password) using WEP it will not encrypt/decrypt properly therefore not allowing the connection.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure that you are not using (on the router) MAC Address filtering and try first w/o encryption. What encryption are you trying to use?

5. idiodumb

idiodumb Thread Starter

Hello TerryNet and Khaletech,

I must admit this seem to be more complicated than I thought. Thank you for your responses by the way.

My computer have given connection to another laptop in the past (it was a mac). Everything worked easily that time.

I thought that the basic configuration would allow me to connect things with easy. Even my Lexmark printer is having difficulties to connect with my router. ("Adding wireless device: Session Time-Out.") (PIN or PBC, boths methods didnt work with me).

I dont know is the router is using WPA and I dont know where to go to see that. I can have access to: "My netword places", I then click to "Wireless N router" and I go to a D-Link webpage to see a panel showing the router configuration. Where should I go next?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    After you login to the router I assume you see my attachment 1 -- click on Wireless Settings. Then click on Manual Wireless Network Setup (2nd attach.). If you want to do it another way I cannot help, 'cause I never look at WPS or the wizard thing.

Then (3rd attach.) set the Security Mode to None. Later you'll want to set this to something else, such as what I am showing.

Then click on the Advanced tab at the top and then on Network Filter on the left. It should be set to Off, as in my 4th attachment.

Attached Files:

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1021986

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice