1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how to setup and use Linux or Unix

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by momtaz, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. momtaz

momtaz Thread Starter

Hello guys

I am willing to use Linux or Unix OS,
    I just used windows and never used Linux or Unix before, any advices and how to get it dowloaded and the steps to set up etc.. will appreciate any advises,
    regards

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi,
    First off I suggest Ubuntu as it's newbie friendly and a lot of people here at TSG are familiar with it so getting help will be easier. http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop

You need to download the Ubuntu operating system in the form of a 'live CD' . This means that you can try Ubuntu with your hardware before taking the plunge. Guide to downloading & burning (not copy & paste) .iso image here:
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/iso

The current version is either 10.04 (supported for 3 yrs) or 10.10 supported for 18 months - I suggest 10.04 as I found the installer easier (if you go down that route). That guide shows an old version but the method's the same.

Once you've got the live CD you need to set your PC in bios to boot from CD. The Ubuntu disc will load up and click "try" not "install". The live CD is a lot slower than an install but give it a try.

Richarad.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You could also install Ubuntu "under" Windows using Wubi.

It gives you a dual boot with Windows, but without the need for burning the CD or for partitioning. It's not a good long term solution, but is an excellent way to get started with Linux and see if it is really for you.

4. momtaz

momtaz Thread Starter

I did not ask for this "Ubuntu"
    my question was for Linux or Unix

5. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Ubuntu is one of the Linux or Unix versions, perhaps you could indicate which version you are interested in?

According to DistroWatch - one of the best sources of Linux versions there are these numbers to choose from:

DistroWatch database summary
    Number of all distributions in the database: 675
    Number of active distributions in the database: 323
    Number of dormant distributions: 55
    Number of discontinued distributions: 297
    Number of distributions on the waiting list: 239

6. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

I agree ...if one is interested in linux..the best place to get started is Ubuntu.
    Last couple times i messed with it...all hardware worked on a laptop without having to dig around to find fixes.
    Took Mint for a spin the other in a virtual machine....wasnt bad..I didnt keep it as i needed the space.
    I had heard alot of good things about it so gave it a try...One can get used to the navigation fairly quick
    Ubuntu studio also a nice distro with a good skin and software designed for media

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    True, but you did not specify a particular Linux distribution, nor any in which you already knew you weren't interested, nor any machine specifications.

8. momtaz

momtaz Thread Starter

to be more clear.. I never used Linux or Unix or any...
    all OS I knew and worked with are: Windows95, 98, 2000, XP, 7 etc,
    i did not try any other OS out of microsoft family,

so pls make it simple for me how to start with an OS that works with office pack and such other chat programs etc, just wanted to give it a try and see.. wanted to feel the difference of other OS platforms.. hope i addressed it clearly to be helpful, many mnay thanks for the kind efforts,

regards

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That's exactly what we tried to do. :)

1002richards gave you links to what many consider to be the most new-user friendly and best documented Linux distribution and to instructions for creating a Live CD (to run Linux w/o installing; something Windows doesn't do). I gave you a link to a small program that allows you to get started even easier (IMO) on a system already running Windows.

10. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

Ubuntu is in the family of Linux..........just like 95,98,xp etc are in the windows family

The linux familiy has an enormous number to choose from...........with that some are designed to be user friendly while others are for more advanced users...the recommendations given by members have been for user friendly "versions" of linux.

You wont find anything just "linux".........as that would be the same as "windows"...but which one 95,98,xp etc.

Personally I would use a live cd or the wubi installer as recommended earlier as a place to get ones feetl wet.

Better yet...a virtual machine so you can switch back and forth between the windows and whichever "linux' you pick...the main reason being,you can use snapshots in a virtual machine very easy...this way when you damage your OS you can easily go back and try again.

After learning the dos and dont and how not to break then go for the wubi installer.....its a very easy dual boot setup up.......later down the road if one indeed wants to be a linux guy,he can do a dedicated install...but until then it is advisable to keep windows at hand

11. TeDiouSish

TeDiouSish

That sums it up pretty well. :)

Redundant time
    @momtaz
    Linux is the name for the core of the system, and used as a generic term for different distributions.
    There are many different distributions, there are some that are made for new users to "Linux", and some that are meant for more advanced users.
    Ubuntu is "Linux", it's a distribution. (Think Ice cream flavours, Mint, Chocolate, Vanilla, etc)

I second using that tutorial.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976879

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice