1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to share a multifunction Printer (scanner)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Logglogy, May 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Logglogy

Logglogy Thread Starter

Hi, this is my first post. If I make some mistakes don't mind me.

I usually help setting up offices and lately I had many companies buying this printer M26A

http://www8.hp.com/in/en/products/printers/product-detail.html?oid=9365263#!tab=specs

I successfully install the printer on ONE pc (this model has only usb connection) I share the printer and I successfully install it on other 3 PCs in the same office. Since this model is a multifunction printer it comes with a scanner. Is it possible to share the scanner too. The only way I manage to make it is using the PC that the printer is connected to start the scanner and than putting the scanned file shared folder so all other PCs can access it.
    Is it possible to use the scanner from the other 3 pcs so they can directly save the file to their pc?

I don't understand why companies want to save 10$ instead of buying m26nw which has wifi and lan connection, they buy the cheaper model wich is much harder to set up.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You can do what you want with Linux however [AFAIK] windows cannot do what you want unless you buy a scanning program. My linux system can access and scan from my network printer/scanner/fax. Linux Mint comes with a built in scanning program called simple scan; works fine for basic stuff.
    Getting a Linux system to communicate with what is primarily a windows network can be a daunting task.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!