How to share internet connection with a wireless and normal wire network

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mdlong

Hi

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this connection will work.

At home I receive internet via cable (always on). Because the internet connection output is on the living room (where the tv is) it is a bit difficult to share the internet with the rest of my wire network – which is located on the opposite side of the house.
I was thinking of setting up the following connection:

Set up a wireless router in the living room. Where my current network is, install a wireless NIC card in a pc. Use on the same pc the onboard NIC card to connect to a HUB and share the connection with the rest of the network.

Will it work??

Thank you in advance for your help

Mike

yes it will work you need to use ICS Internet connection sharing to share your connection from your main network card to your internal network card that will be connected to a hub or a switch switch will be better then any machine connected to this switch will need to obtained IP address automatically

if you probably thinking what is the difference between a Hub and a switch look here http://www.duxcw.com/faq/network/hubsw.htm

also I am assuming that you only have one router if you have to routers you would need to turn off DHCP on the wireless access point I let the main router handles the DHCP

TerryNet

Terry
In theory it will work. In practice it will be inelegant at best, and perhaps disappointing. If you read the threads in this forum for a week you will note that there are complaints of unreliable wireless connections, some caused by distance or interference. (Admittedly, those of us with reliable connections don't post.) If you run into such problems any disconnects will affect all your computers. If you use multiple computers on the internet simultaneously your speed may get slow as everything has to pass through the wireless and one computer.

If you could run the coax (thru basement or crawl space?) to your computer area you can then connect each computer to the router via ethernet or wireless.

I highly advise against using wireless for your application. Best bet would be to run a single ethernet cable to the other side of the house, and put a switch there to connect all the PCs.

mdlong

Thank your very much for sharing your knowledge with me. All replies have been very helpful and very much appreciated.

Mike

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts