1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how to share...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Allwyna, Jan 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Allwyna

Allwyna Thread Starter

Hi,

It is my first post here, maybe not the last one :D

I have worked in computers for many many years, but that means nothing as you know, it is so huge. We always have to learn more.

I get headaches with my networks (2 computers at home), sometimes they are working together, sometimes, they refuse.

Let's say now they are ok. I need to know (before they get stubborn again), first if I can, then how to send from A to B my bookmarks, saved passwords, and most visited pages. I use Firefox 3.

I would be very grateful for any help. Thank you so much :)

2. karbo

karbo Banned

I know that's not exactly what you want to do but you could copy everything on a USB flash drive and plug it in the other computer. Simple.

I never recommend saving passwords on a computer. They can be retrieved by malicious individuals with the use of Trojans or other malware.

3. Allwyna

Allwyna Thread Starter

I know that, Karbo, but thanks for reminding me ;).

But since I have about 100 different passwords, I can't remember them (and some I can't choose). That's why I find it much easier that Firefox does the job for me, and I just added one. I am protected.... but never 100% safe, I am aware.

However, there is no copy option for saved passwords. And I would like to do it day by day... or at least very regularly. Is there another way?

Thanks again

4. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

5. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

If you don't want to Sync your Bookmarks and Passwords by storing them online using the Foxmarks addon RootbeaR suggested, here's another option:

For passwords, you can use the Password Exporter addon
    Export the passwords to a file, move the file to the other PC either over the network, or via Flash drive, then import the passwords.

FEBE can backup all or part of your profile. Save to a shared location, and you can import from the other PC.
    MozBackup can do the same.

Or you can manually copy the files:
    Navigate to the Firefox profile folder:
    WinXP
    C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<profilename>
    Vista
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<profilename>

For passwords look for files named signonsX.txt, where X is a number.
    A clean install of FF3 will probably only have signons3.txt; if you've upgraded, there may be signons.txt, signons1.txt, and signons2.txt.
    Copy them, and the file key3.db to the profile folder on the other PC.

For bookmarks, the file name is places.sqlite (note that you can't directly copy bookmarks between FF3 and older versions)

You could write a batch file that would copy just those files or the entire contents of the profile folder over the network to the other PC directly into the profile folder, or to a shared folder to be imported later.

Place that batch file (or a shortcut) on the Desktop of each PC. Just run it when you want to update the other PC.

Note that some files may not be updated until you exit Firefox, so make sure Firefox is not running on either PC when you copy them from/to the profile folder.

HTH

Jerry

6. Allwyna

Allwyna Thread Starter

Thank you so much. I installed it!

I wrote that last night and for whatever reason (probably because it was playing with Foxmarks and asked me to restat FF), it didn't leave.

I find it now, and.... thank you so much both! Your help is invaluable

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/793359

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice