1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how to shorten/rename urls in a letter?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rayxoxo, Oct 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rayxoxo

rayxoxo Thread Starter

How can I change the url into a short name such as tom or car, etc. so that when they read the letter that was sent that it will be marked as a link to some site, without using the site name.
    Such as http://forums.techguy.org/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=21 when place in an email that I want to send to some one I can just type in techguy or go here, etc.
    or have them click the name and it really contains the url.
    And if I write it into an email and want to have them read the email and click the highlighted name to go to that site or place.
    I notice that other seem to do it all the time in letters and email that I receive and it is a nice way to make the email/letter cleaner.

TIA,
    Ray

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi rayxoxo, and welcome to TSG,

Assuming you are using Thunderbird as shown in your profile.

1) Make sure you are composing the message in HTML format, not plain text only.

2) Start writing your message.

3) When you get to the word or phrase you want to be a link, select it.

4) In the menu bar for the composition window, select Insert -> Link ... to open a dialog box. Enter or paste the URL of the link in the box and click OK.

EDIT: What's the deal with the large bold type in your post? It doesn't help with getting more people to read it or get their attention.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759600

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice