1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to start into DOS instead of starting windows?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by skytech, Aug 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. skytech

skytech Thread Starter

My motherboard is Asus P7P55D-E PRO. I have tried pressing F2, F8, F10, DEL during PC starting, but I am unable to get to the DOS.

I want to go into DOS to do CHKDSK /R because my hard disk has bad sectors and I cannot go into Windows.

How to go into DOS?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    To "get to the DOS" you would need to have a version of the DOS operating system installed. You probably want instead to enter Command Prompt to run chkdsk. Look for "Command prompt" in those F8 or other menus.

3. lunarlander

lunarlander

You may be looking for 'Recovery console'. If it is not found thru F8, then insert your Windows DVD.

4. CHR15B

CHR15B

5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

You don't really mean DOS.
    What you man is Windows Command Prompt only; that is Windows minimal boot before the GUI is loaded.
    That is actually different to the recovery console (though that will work)

6. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

You can also open a command prompt when the OS is loaded, and then run CHKDSK /R. It'll tell you it cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. However, just hit "Y" to run the process when the system restarts, and then reboot the PC.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1152727

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice