1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how to stop asking for password when logging in to xp home

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rubeckf, Jul 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rubeckf

rubeckf Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ruth
    A few days ago I had to re-load everything on this computer. My HD went bad. Now every time I start windows it stops and asks for my password. I didn't enter a password and don't need one. How can I prevent this from happening and just go ahead and load windows???

2. smash

smash Banned

i have the same problem on sons computer so i'm asking the same question anyone?

3. ohheck

ohheck

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Since the problem doesn't seem that you don't know the password but just want to log on automatically:

Start / Run / "control userpasswords2" - no quotes
    Uncheck User must enter a user name and password to use this computer

5. smash

smash Banned

my sons computer is win98se it has no [control userpasswords2] what do i do to sort it out in win98?

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

7. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Please note that there are two different versions of TweakUI, one that works for WinXP and another that works for earlier versions of Windows incl. Win98. Both can be downloaded from here:

http://www.systemsmedic.com/TweakUI.htm

-- Tom

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Since there seem to be two different people posting, with two different operating systems, it gets even more confusing. So to include them all in one post that will hopefully satisfy all posters:

For Win98, ME and Windows2000:
    There is a program called TWEAKUI from Microsoft at http://download.microsoft.com/download/winme/Install/1.0/WinMe/EN-US/Tweakui.exe that will let you change this as well as many other settings.

The one for XP is at:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp

9. smash

smash Banned

sorry for confusing isn't there a way of turning it of in windows or setup?

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Yes, just use TweakUI from Microsoft. It's about the easiest way.

11. smash

smash Banned

okay will do thankyou:)

12. smash

smash Banned

okay i tried that but its still asking for a password i can just click cancel and it works fine but it didn't ask for it before so i wonder why and what my son done?

13. Taco John

Taco John

hehe...

i'm usin xp home..

did the "control userpassword2" command and set it to not ask for a password, then gave it a password like it says..but it still asks for one.

before i was able to boot up/restart, and when it got to that screen ( the supposedly more secure one...big white box) all i had to do was hit enter, or click ok. now i have to use a password even though i set it to not ask for one.

grr..lol

14. Taco John

Taco John

ok..if i turn off the option to ask for password using the control userpassword2 command and i have nothing clicked in the user accounts choices ( control panel-user accounts-change way you log in/out) the only way to log in is by going into safe mode and going to the user accounts section and clicking on the use welcome screen choice...

if i go back to the control userpasswords2 window and tell it to ask for a password, AND i have the other box checked in the user accounts window, i can get into windows by clicking on the user ( me,guest, my brother....we never had to use those before though) and then putting in a password for that user.

but there is no way of just starting the compy and it opening all the way up on its own..unless the TweakUI thing lets you do that...but i didn't really understand what it was telling me, so i left that alone :p

any help appreciated

OR...is there a way to just get it back to the way i had it?where when windows starts up, i can just hit enter at the white window (has a box for user and password...)? now i have to enter a password, and i don't want to have to do that...hehe.
    -Taco John

15. rubeckf

rubeckf Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ruth
    I just am getting back to my post of yesterday. I see there have been several posts. I just downloaded tweak ui for my xp home version and my problem has been solved. I just checked to log on automatically & viola!! It did it!! Thanks again.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/378897

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice