1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how to stop memory check at startup?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ballpark570, Feb 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ballpark570

ballpark570 Thread Starter

Feb 11, 2005
    I have a new motherboard. The ram slots support but do not require ECC ram. I have non ECC ram in them. The pc has been up and running for several days with the new mobo. Sometimes, but not always, at startup, the initial bios spash screen will show the memory being checked. ( it looks like an odometer spinning ) I have the option to skip the memory test by pressing esc. If I do, it stops and sends me right into windows.

I suspect there is a setting in the BIOS where I can disable this memory test at bootup but I am not seeing anything that is clearly marked as such. There is a setting for "ecc or non ecc" and it is set for non ecc....
  2. norton850

Mar 8, 2004
    Where this setting is will depend on your BIOS, but look for a quick boot or quick or skip memory test setting. Not sure why sometimes it runs the test and sometimes doesn't.
  3. winbob

Aug 2, 2004
    It "might appear" that the memory check has not run if a couple of circumstances occur.

1. You do not have a lot of memory....512 or less.

2. You have a reasonable fast Processor.....the 'odometer' rolls very fast.

3. You turn on the Monitor late after powering on the PC, OR it warms up slowly and you do not get a readable screen quickly.

Then it is possible that the memory check finished BEFORE you could see it displayed and the boot is on to other info being displayed.

Just a thought.
  4. tdi_veedub

Jan 29, 2004
    Wow, 512 is considered not alot anymore?

I think I would rather have 512MB of the fastest, most stable RAM(Corsair, Kingston), then 1024 of the cheaper, slower, less reliable RAM (PNY) ...
  5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Jan 2, 2001
    No, 512 is not considered a lot of ram today. As to quality, yes always use a quality mfg like crucial or kingston for memory.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/332370