1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to STOP popups without messing with your systems

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by cybergum, Nov 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cybergum

cybergum Thread Starter

OK I'm posting this here because it is somewhat of a tip....

Everybody hates popups (well most of us anyway) and don't like turning of javascript. So go to panicware.com and download "Pop-up Stopper" It works great, plus you can leave all your options the same. The only downside: you can't purposely open a new window. But just double-click the icon and turn it off, open it, then turn it back on. Viola, that simple. It works with I.E. and Netscape, any version I think.

2. hewee

hewee

Well turning your java off does the same thing and you don't need to install anything.

3. Wogus

Wogus

If you like Pop-up Stopper (as I certainly do) you might also be interested in "Web Washer". Available at (where else?)... www.webwasher.com. It's more than just a pop-up killer, and no need to use the 'Ctrl' key.

Just thought I'd pass it along...

4. Wogus

Wogus

5. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

You could have problems with these programs just like you could have problems if you disable Java in your browser. Some web sites will not function if pop-up ads are disabled.

6. Wogus

Wogus

You're right of course... one COULD run into problems with either of these solutions. Life is not without it's risks. For myself, however, I am willing to trade that minor sense of concern for virtually pop-up/ad-banner-free Internet surfing.

And so far, (knocking on my genuine, simulated woodgrain finish) I have had no problems.

7. BML

BML

Another one is called popup killerpopup killer

The one funny thing, when you go to their site to download it, you get several pop up windows!

i dont like it that it kills not only pop up ads but when pages open in a new window. Sometimes you want a page to open in a new window. Is there any program that can kill only the ADS??

8. Wogus

Wogus

Nothing I've tried works 110%... but I'd love to hear from anyone who has found something that does.

Pop-Up Stopper, using the Ctrl key, allows you to instantly "toggle" it on and off though. If you want to allow that new window just "Ctrl + click" and the new window opens. Release the Ctrl key and PUS is back in action, just that quick.

I also keep java disabled.

A perfect solution? Probably not... But in a perfect world we wouldn't have pop-up ads to begin with.

9. BML

BML

Another one is called popup killerpopup killer

The one funny thing, when you go to their site to download it, you get several pop up windows!

i dont like it that it kills not only pop up ads but when pages open in a new window. Sometimes you want a page to open in a new window. Is there any program that can kill only the ADS??

10. hewee

hewee

You just turn the java back on and reload the page if you did not get a page to load. I keep my java off all the time and only use it if I have too.
    Web pages also load faster with out java. Sometimes 5 times faster too.

11. Lyn Patterson

Lyn Patterson

I used to have Popup Stopper but had to uninstall it as it was creating havoc with my popup currency converter calculator on my web site.

It certainly gave the creator of the currency converter calculator a few headaches as he said he would have to find a way to alert people who had similar programmes.

Lyn

12. Gram123

Gram123

cybergum -
    Yes you can open a new window without quitting Pop-up Stopper.
    All you have to do is keep Ctrl pressed when clicking on a link (or when going to File, New, Window).

Works for me.

Gram

13. Gram123

Gram123

Oops - just noticed Wogus already gave this same tip.
    Ah well, at least you've got a 2nd opinion confirming it works!

Gram

14. Lyn Patterson

Lyn Patterson

Gram123

Thanks for that, Gram. Will try it out. The trouble is - how many people looking at my site are going to know that? Do you think the advice should be added to that page because I don't think the average computer user is going to know what to do.

Lyn

15. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

i browse using open in new window... popup stopper will not allow this

so for my use ... its been the old fashioned click the x
    will try that

Savvy :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58999

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice