1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to stop updates to Date Modified field in Windows Explorer

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Karia44, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Karia44

Karia44 Thread Starter

While searching for some information in some old files, I noticed that every time I open a Word document, using Word 2007, the "date modified" shown in Windows Explorer automatically updates and changes the file properties to reflect the current date and time. I make no changes to the file and at no time am I asked to “Save” the document, which would justify the update of the “Date Modified” field.

This happens in both Vista and XP.

Is there any way I can change this setting? I only want the date modified to change when I actually make a modification to the document.

2. Sponsor

3. draceplace

draceplace

I saw your post the other day and I don't experience this issue with XP and office 2003. The fact that you are opening these with 2007(different version) may be cause the file to change?? Once you open a file and save does the modified date behavior continue if you do it again?

4. Karia44

Karia44 Thread Starter

No. The modified date on the file never changes. However, every time I open and then close a file, without modification, the folder date is updated.

5. draceplace

draceplace

Ok, there are 3 dates you can chose to be displayed in file exployer. Creation Date, Last Modified Date and Last Accessed Date. You can right click on the 'label bar' accross the top and select what you want displayed. You have to go to 'more' to get to 'access date' on mine but I would think this could be controlled by default settings or group policies.

Anyway if 'access date' is changing that is correct behavior...I'm not clear on what your calling 'folder date'?

6. Karia44

Karia44 Thread Starter

I should have set the Date Modified field, instead of the folder date. In any case, I checked the Creation Date, Last Modified Date and Last Accessed Date. The Last Accessed Date is updating with each access of the folder. I tested this by opening and then closing the folder, without opening a document. In each case both the Last Accessed Date and the Last Modified Date were updated to reflect the current date and time. I know that the former is to be expected while the latter is exasperating.

7. draceplace

draceplace

Is this on your local PC or is this a network drive where some type of document tracking could be going on?? This is strange behavior, I'm curious.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753262