1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to sync folders of two HD in one computer

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by rysz, Dec 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rysz

rysz Thread Starter

Oooo wise ones !

Have two hard drives with XP on one and W7 on the second. How to sync some of my pictures folders, videos folders, note pads ? on both hard drives ?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+, x86 Family 15 Model 43 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3070 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 229765 MB, Free - 44373 MB; D: Total - 8690 MB, Free - 413 MB; J: Total - 99 MB, Free - 75 MB; K: Total - 476837 MB, Free - 427069 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTek Computer INC., NAGAMI
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Why not just change the path of one of the operating systems to the other's documents/pictures/music/etc folders? Then they both can use the same folders and no syncing is required. It's easier to do with Windows 7 than in XP so you may want to use this approach: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows7/Redirect-a-folder-to-a-new-location
    That same method works for Pcitures, Music, Videos, etc in Windows 7.

It also appears you have additional partitions, in that case you may want to move the data completely off the partitions that house your Windows installations onto a dedicated data partition. In that case I'd suggest moving the My Documents folder from Windows XP first and then doing the changes in Windows 7 to that new location. In Windows XP the My Pictures/Music/Videos folders are inside My Documents unlike in Windows 7 where each is it's own folder. Move XP My Documents: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310147

3. rysz

rysz Thread Starter

Thank you Rob,
    Not sure you understand I have an original XP on original HD (6 years old) then second HD with W7.
    I want identical files and folders on both. I work sometime in XP and sometime in W7.
    I do not have additional partitions and do not want it.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Sorry I was going by the TSG System Info you posted that showed 4 drive letters so I assumed you had more then just the two drives/partitions, I'm now guessing that the last drive is an external drive then?

The method above however works perfectly between two drives, partitions, external drives(although not recommended), or network drives and avoids all the hassles of 'syncing'. It allows you to have one working copying of the data that's always the same when accessed from any OS.

5. rysz

rysz Thread Starter

Now I am looking at info utility and see I have C,D,J,K what the heck is that ? looks like K is w7 and C IS XP but not sure. Looks like WD Passport is here but why ? is not connected to the computer !
    also recovery partition is there.
    Why the values are in MB in your Info Utility ? it is very hard to read which hard drive is which.

6. rysz

rysz Thread Starter

I do not want ONE working copy I want two (on both systems).

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can refer to those drive letters in My Computer to see which drives are which. To convert from MB to GB, divide by 1024(or 1000 for ease).

There's several sync utilities available free on the web, you can look at AllwaySync, SyncBack, FreeFileSync, Synchredible, plus tons of other ones: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_synchronization_software Any of them will copy/sync files for you depending on what you need.

8. rysz

rysz Thread Starter

Yes but which sync is best for my situation. Any other expert ?

9. stantley

stantley

I've tried a lot of sync and backup programs and the one I like the best is SyncBack. It's very easy to setup and use.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1081935

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice