1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to synchronize more then two combo boxes in access 2007

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Qureshisn, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Qureshisn

Qureshisn Thread Starter

Hello there

I'm trying to develop a form in access 2007. It's a student grade system. There are at least 4 combo boxes on the main form. The instructor should be able to select the year group(combo box 1), that selection would then filter out the values in the 2nd combo box (say the 2nd combo box is the section of that particular year group Like 7C, 7G etc). The value selected in the 2nd combo box should then filter and select those students(3rd combo box) whose section id corresponds to the selected value in the 2nd combo box. Then the selected student id (3rd combo box) should filter out the registered subjects(4th combo box). Now, i've managed to sync the 1st and 2nd combo boxes. when the year group is selected, the corresponding section is filtered out after update. but i'm not able to sync the 2nd combo box (section) with the student combo box (3rd). if anyone can help me out please. i just can't mange to figure out where i'm going wrong :(. i've tried applying the same method via vba code, but then that messes up the sync b/w the 1st and 2nd. Please Help.

2. OBP

OBP

OK, I will answer your question on this forum.
    Does the 3rd combo need both the 1st and 2nd combos data and not just the 2nd combos?
    Can you attach a screen print of your Table Relationships?

3. Qureshisn

Qureshisn Thread Starter

The result of the 1st filters out the options in the 2nd, the results of the 2nd should filter out the options in the 3rd, eg. if the section say "G" is selected then only the students belonging to section G should be displayed in the 3rd combo box. When the student is selected in the 3rd combo box it should filter out the result in the 4th combo box, meaning the subject that particular student has registered for. I'll attach the relationship diagram as well. Thank you for your help.

Attached Files:

4. OBP

OBP

Why is the relationship between Section and Student not a normal 1 to Many relationship?

5. Qureshisn

Qureshisn Thread Starter

It is a one to many relationship. 1 section has many students. Why do you ask? Where is the problem?

6. OBP

OBP

The One to Many that you have used is only going in one direction, see the small arrow pointing to the SectionID and note that it is not on the Student Subject to Performance Tables. It may be preventing you doing what you want.

7. Qureshisn

Qureshisn Thread Starter

i agree that the relationship link isn't on the student_subject but the info is coming through because the SectionID is present as a foreign key in the student table. The student subject table only has the info of the students and the subjects linked with them. The filtering of the students relates to the section id associated with each student. when the section is selected in the 2nd combo box, then value or section id should display only those values from the student table which have the same selected id. I've taken some screen shots of the form as well.

Attached Files:

8. OBP

OBP

Can you make an Access 2003 version of the database just using the Tables, they only need a couple of dummy records in them, No Personal Data is allowed. Zip the database and post it on hereor email it to me?

9. Qureshisn

Qureshisn Thread Starter

hmmmmm, i have access 2007. can that work? or could it wait till saturday. i can install access 2003 on my office system and ready the data base. you don't have to worry but personal information. there isn't any except names and subjects.

10. OBP

OBP

Unzip and use this blank Access 2000 database. Just open it and then on the Main Menu>File>Get External Data>Import, Highlight and then import the Tables & any Queries from your database.
    Zip it back up and post it on here as an Attachment using the Go Advanced and Mange Attachments Buttons.

Attached Files:

11. OBP

OBP

Adding Access 2003 to your computer would affect the way that Access 2007 works, it is better this way.

12. Qureshisn

Qureshisn Thread Starter

I'm really sorry it took so long. I've imported the tables. But the werid thing is that it refuses to import all of the forms. There are two forms which i created unrelated to any table. I'll try to send those as well.

Attached Files:

13. OBP

OBP

Do not worry about the forms, Access 2003 probably can't work with them if they have special Access 2007 formats.

14. OBP

OBP

Your Table/Relationship design does not allow the selection of the Subjects (4th Combo), only the Subject Teacher, so I have used that.
    I have modified the Relationships to normal 1 to Many relationships with "only include rows where the joined fields from both tables are equal"
    I have set up the Student/Subject to be able to select
    Year 7, Group C, Student Omar Abdelhamid, Teacher, Mr. Andrew Clarke
    and
    Year 7, Group C, Student Alexa von Breymann, Teacher, Mr. Philp Danbury

The form, Form1 is Unbound at the moment as I don't know what you want to do with it.

Attached Files:

15. Qureshisn

Qureshisn Thread Starter

I'm sooo sorry, that i have'nt been around the internet these days. work and life. OMG you did it. HOW? please explain.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917924

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice