1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to take off Default Monitor on Dell UltraSharp 1701FP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by 79diz, Jul 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 79diz

79diz Thread Starter

I have read an article in one of the forums already on this but it did not answer my question. I have Default Monitor in my display settings under monitor I cannot access prperties as it is greyed out. Also in device manager no monitor is recognised. I also have re downloaded the monitor drivers from the dell website but cannot fully install us I am instructed to go through the monitor tab properties which I cannot access, is there other ways to undo the default monitor and help my pc locate my monitor. The main reason for this is to adjust screen resolution, and I have tried all the manual ways through display properties. I have a small understanding of PC's and I'm learning as I go so not to technical if you can help it.

Thanx

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

Sounds more like you have the wrong video card driver. You should have a cd with drivers on it.
    For the specific question though go Run,devmgmt.msc and hit enter, then open monitor, and click update driver and "have disk" etc... and with your monitor driver cd in, it should find that driver and install it

3. 79diz

79diz Thread Starter

Unfortunately I do not have the monitor setting in Device Manager. So this is a problem also I dont have the actual monitor driver disc just the file I downloaded from the Dell website. In device manager though I went into VGA and through here you can manually add monitor but you need the actual driver disc to install is there any way of doing it without the disc? Or is there other ways?

Thanx again

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

If you do not have a monitor shown in Device Manager then you have at least one yellow "?" there and that is what it is for. I am sure if you ask Dell will send you a driver cd for one of their monitors or tell you how to download the driver . But your issue for setting resolution is no or bad video card driver anyway, not monitor driver.

5. Joanyoung

Joanyoung

right click the desktop/ properties

settings tab/ advanced
    monitor tab/ properties
    Driver tab
    then click on update driver

put the check in install from a list of specific locations, then click on next
    then put the check in dont choose, I will choose the driver to install, then click on next

hope that helps

joan

6. Joanyoung

Joanyoung

oh, I just noticed that properites are greyed out for you
    sorry then that will not help

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/729671

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice