1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how to tell if I have admin privileges in XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jjuhlin, Feb 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jjuhlin

jjuhlin Thread Starter

Although I bought this computer new w/ XP installed and set up the original user accounts and have been able to add/remove accounts, I have had reason to wonder if I am recoginzed and the adminstrator.

I don't tend to interface with the computer at the OS level very often. I am trying to install some software that tells me that I need admin privileges and I'm having trouble installing the software, making me wonder if this might be the problem

Where do I even look for that kind of thing?

2. Lance1

Lance1

Right click on my computer \ Manage \ Local Users and Groups. Double click you account and select “Member Of”. If you’re an Administrator you will see it there. That is for XP Pro. For XP Home, go to the Control Panel \ user Accounts. Double click your account and it’ll say there if you are.

3. peterh40

peterh40

First Name:
    Peter
    Another quick way to check: Move mouse over the start button, and click Right mouse button over Start area. You will get a pop up menu, if you see Open All Users and Explore All Users then you have admin priviledges.

4. IMiteBable2help

IMiteBable2help

It's obvious you are NOT logged in as admin if the software you are trying to install won't let you.

5. Support4U

Support4U

Yes Lance n peterh40 are correct, however i have seen situation in which you will find all those proofs and still get the admin privileges error message and that happens due to not having proper permission in the registry.

6. IMiteBable2help

IMiteBable2help

It's true that you can be a member of the admin group, but if the admin group is set up with some restricted permissions, well there's your trouble.

7. Lance1

Lance1

You said you bought the system new and set up the original user accounts and have been able to add/remove accounts! What software did you install? Did you have problems prior to the software install?

8. IMiteBable2help

IMiteBable2help

Yeah really. If you can add/remove user accounts, seems to me like you would have to be logged in as admin to do that. This is getting interesting.

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

It is very possible for a user to appear to have administrator rights and still receive prompts indicating otherwise. It's common for companies to set up users in the Administrators group and then lock the computer down through policy settings. General system corruption can also cause the problem.

If the "new" computer was perhaps returned or was a display model, the above scenarios may apply.

In this particular case, we don't know anything about the program being installed. Some older programs throw up this type of error on Windows XP systems.

10. IMiteBable2help

IMiteBable2help

Yes, I agree. That's pretty much what I was getting at in post #6.

11. Support4U

Support4U

hi,
    Are u getting the errors installing programs about admin privileges ?
    if yes let me know.

12. IMiteBable2help

IMiteBable2help

Support4U: I think this is the case. See the first post. Maybe you can help?

13. Support4U

Support4U

Thankyou, IMiteBable2help
    if this is the case he can try the steps that we perfromed on one of the threads with similar issues and got it solved..yesterday

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/803153-can-not-install-software-error.html

1. Start > Run. > regedt32
    2. File >>Export>>file name >>save ( Create a registry backup in case if u have to restore a settings back)
    3. In the Registry Editor, right-click the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE key.
    4 Click Permissions.
    5. In the Permissions for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE dialog box, under Name, click System.
    6 . Under Permissions, check Allow for both the Read and Full Control entries.
    7. Click OK.
    8. Double-click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, and then click the SOFTWARE key. Press Enter n Repeat steps 3 through 7.
    9. Click the next registry key that is listed in the error message, and then repeat Press Enter n Repeat steps 3 through 7.
    Repeat this step for each registry key listed in the error.
    12 Exit the Registry Editor.
    13 Restart the computer.
    then try to reload the program or software

14. jjuhlin

jjuhlin Thread Starter

I was able to determine that I do have administrator priveledges, but the software won't load. I originally installed it on a computer running Win98 so it's possible that it is just incompatible with WinXP although the install screen directions refer to WinXP and the need for Admin status.

I'm trying to contact the software company but so far have not heard back. In the meantime I'll give the procedure suggested by Support4U and see what happens.

Thanks again to all who answered.

15. Support4U

Support4U

I really dont think that should be a reason, jjuhlin. The installing program will never ask for permission or block itself from getting installed in anyway. Its windows that has fixed permissions with which it allows/blocks programs from installation

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!