How to tell if my account was hacked

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

IrelandYaaaa

Hi there, how r ya?

I had problems for about a half hour tryin to sign into one of my AOL accounts. I was getting a wrong password message even though I checked this and re-typed my user name and password several times. My second account had no problems signing in and out. Now there is a good reason why someone would want to read my e-mails, so is there any way to find out if someone logged into my account?

Hope you can help, thanks very much

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
Hi. When you say AOL accounts, do you mean you have two separate accounts...or more than one AOL screen name?

If you do have more than one full account, which I don't think you have...then each would have a Primary Master screen name that as you probably know, cannot be changed- the password to each can be changed by you, or AOL at your request> I think if you are suspecting any intrusion to either account that you do contact AOL and have them reset both passwords. You should do this also if you only have 1 AOL account, but more than one screen name.

You can then sign on with the new password they give you and then change it to suit yourself. Your secondary screen names can be changed but again, you probably know what a pain that can be, finding some that are not being used...you have to be creative and put in some numbers as most plain words or names are already used.

Trojans and such can indeed send passwords out...so do change them officially with AOL tech support first, then change them yourself afterward.

You could also post a Hijackthis log for experts here to review just in case there is something lurking.

Download it here:

http://tools.radiosplace.com/HijackThis.exe

It's a direct download so be ready with the folder for it.

Basically, you create a new folder, the desktop is OK provided you make a folder, name it something like HJT, and download TO that folder, run hijackthis.exe from there.
You can make the folder in Program Files, My Documents or whereever, just not in a temporary location.
Run Hijackthis.exe from the folder you saved the download to, and hit the SCAN button...
When it is done scanning> the Save log button will become available, save the log as hijackthis.txt which will open with Notepad. Go back to TSG, open your post, and copy and paste the entire logfile into a reply in your thread (here) and wait for advice.

Please do NOT fix anything with HJT yourself> just wait for advice after posting your log, OK?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online