1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to tell if running FAT or NTFS?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mleaton, Feb 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mleaton

mleaton Thread Starter

Hello,

I'm sure this is a stupid question, but how can you tell if you are running FAT or NTFS file system?

My husband did our XP upgrade (over Windows 98) over a year ago and he has no idea.

Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

Kind Regards,
    Melissa

2. sulzer4

sulzer4

If you go into "My Computer" and right click, go to properties of the hard drive, it will tell you what the file system is.

3. mleaton

mleaton Thread Starter

Thanks so much! That told me what I needed to know.

Melissa

4. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

The suspense is unbearable! Is it NTFS or FAT32???

5. mleaton

mleaton Thread Starter

:D LOL!!!

I'm sorry. Didn't mean to leave you hanging. The system is running FAT32.

I didn't know for sure so I had to post the question since I didn't know how to find out.

I've had numerous problems and lost critical files with the last virus and since I'm going to have to reinstall the OS anyway, I needed to know which option to try first. Since this is an upgrade, I have the option to uninstall XP on the system and it will (hopefully - fingers crossed) revert back to 98. If I can get it back to 98, I can run the update again and get back the items that were lost. I figure it's worth a try and if it doesn't work, then I'm headed for a clean install anyway.

I've already backed up my important files to CD, so it doesn't matter what I lose at this point. When I talked to MSTech support, they said I should go ahead and try it, but if I had changed my file system to NTFS then I couldn't use the auto uninstall for XP. Now that I know, I can give it a try. We'll see what happens!

Melissa

6. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

Thanks for letting me know Melissa, it means that I can lay off the valium for today. ;)

Good luck with the recovery and re-install.

You'll know that you can clean-install XP using your '98 CD as proof of having a prior MS operating system.

Clean Install XP http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Example of partitioning an 80Gb drive: (Maxtor Diamondmax 7,200 rev/min with 8Mb drive-cache.)

80Gb (Decimal size) = 80,000,000,000 Bytes , divide by 1024 three times to give the Binary sizing:

78125000 Kb
    76293·95 Mb
    74·51 Gb

(10·0Gb = 10,000,000,000 Bytes (÷ 1024) = 9765625 Kb (÷ 1024) = 9536·74 Mb (÷ 1024) = 9·313 Gb)

Drive C: 10240 Mb (10·0Gb) Operating System & Programming. 2000 Min & Max paging file. (2048Mb on the drive.) (Drive Image Backup to CDRs or Data DVDs)

Drive D: 10240 Mb (10·0Gb) (My) Documents & Email Folders.
    (Copy Backups to CDRs or Data DVDs)

Drive E: 20480 Mb (20·0Gb) Music only.
    (Drive Image Backup, otherwise original Audio CDs)

Drive F: Remaining Drive Space. Archive, Video, etc.
    (Archive Copy Backup to CDRs & Data DVDs)

Drive F: also has an Automated System Recovery (ASR) BackupC.bkf file for drive C: to use with an ASR floppy.

All drives are partitioned & FULL formatted, directly from the Windows XP CD, to NTFS

I just put this in as it was on the clipboard anyway and you might want to consider adding a second slave drive for storage. (15 watts needed from your power supply.)

You need to use NTFS for drives over 32Gb so the entire system would be better being re-formatted to NTFS if that is the way you want to go.

Good luck!

7. bobol

bobol

Pretty funny,lol.... Mleaton shoulda stretched out the torment at least a day though :p

[ps.RAM, lol.... Do you recall your 'My Pictures' thread a li'l while back, and my smart alecky remark...[re-More RAM!] . I just saw what you did funny guy- You tweaked my quote didn't you :eek: - changing my '2000 MB' into the computerly-correct '2048 MB' . Must I now copyright my posts? :eek: ]

8. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

Pretty funny,lol.... Melissa shoulda stretched out the torment at least a day though :p

[ps.RAM, lol.... Do you recall your 'My Pictures' thread a li'l while back, and my smart alecky remark...[re-More RAM!] . I just saw what you did funny guy- You tweaked my quote didn't you :eek: - changing my '2000 MB' into the computerly-correct '2048 MB' . Must I now copyright my posts? :eek: ]

You are very observant! :)

What I wonder about is how did Melissa get changed into Mleaton? :confused:

Just had another thread where Paul has successfully converted his 160Gb drive from FAT32 to NTFS. Just awaiting the improved defrag results.

FAT32 gave him 32768 bytes in each allocation unit and now NTFS is giving the correct 4096. The outcome should be interesting.

9. bobol

bobol

bordering upon feeling woefully humbled, and splitting my guts laughing here....
    I concede-vengeance is yours (y)

10. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

11. bobol

bobol

well I got some really good giggles out of our ripostes [pardon pun].... more mutual giggles=more peace/harmony.

lol @ link to 5 page thread in two days.... busy busy

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!