Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

how to tell if temperatures are "normal"

3K views 33 replies 11 participants last post by  Cosmic 
#1 ·
Do I need to learn and/or do something about "temperatures"
I run a lot of programs at the same time (I have been restarting only if the machine complains or the screen won't redraw or something) and someone just told me that I could overheat and kill the computer, so I just ran a program called AIDA - Personal System Information.
Can you tell me if my computer is "normal". Once I start working on applications the temps climb and don't really go down much if I close them. Is this normal or should I be worried about frying this computer?

When I do a normal boot (Norton AV/FW, Adsgone and the AIDA program), I get:
Temperatures:
Motherboard - 49 °C (120 °F)
CPU - 45 °C (113 °F)
Aux - 37 °C (99 °F)
Cooling Fans:
CPU - 2411 RPM
Chassis - 3245 RPM

When I open Adobe Photoshop, Jasc Paint/AnimationShop, MS ImageComposer, Outlook and IE running, I get:
Temperatures:
Motherboard - 51 °C (124 °F)
CPU - 66 °C (151 °F)
Aux - 37 °C (99 °F)
Cooling Fans:
CPU - 2377 RPM
Chassis - 3245 RPM

I don't know if you need this info, but this is a short summary:
Computer:
Operating System - Microsoft Windows ME
Motherboard:
CPU Type - AMD Athlon-PECM, 1000 MHz (5 x 200)
Motherboard Name - Asus A7S-LE (3 PCI, 1 AGP, 2 DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN)
Motherboard Chipset - SiS 730S
System Memory - 304 MB (SDRAM)
BIOS Type - Award Medallion (05/09/01)

Thank You

See less See more
#2 ·
that seems pretty hot. I'm overclocked quite a bit and running prime 95 (working the pc to the absolute max), i normally get around 56 C for the CPU. With nothing running it is in the low 40s.

Normally 60 C for the CPU is the max you want to be, and even with all those programs running, you might not be making it exacily to the max.

Did you install the CPU and heatsink yourself? If that is the case, maybe you just did it improperly and it'll cool down if you reseat it and use some thermal paste.

#3 ·
Those temps are a little high. Many things effect system temp such as ambient temp, case airflow, size and type of case, number of exhaust fans.

What temp does it show in your bios? I trust bios temps more than temps shown by software programs.

If your temp in the bios is also high, I would do some additional investigating as to its cause. You may need to add an exhaust fan or give your case and hsf a good cleaning.

#4 ·
thank you for your responses

john11m. No, I did not install myself. I did go in and install RAM, but that is it

crjdriver. How do I check the BIOS temp?

I searched all over Sony & could not find any information on this.

The only fan (I think) I have seen is on the Power Supply I was told to move & flip over when I installed the RAM. I don't have a clue where the other one is.

Do I just need to take the fan (on the power supply) apart and clean it maybe? I did clean a bit of dust out of there when doing the RAM thing. The computer sits on the top of my desk and is not blocked by anything.

I have attached some pdf's of my machine. (back of machine / case opened / power supply flipped over / spec sheet found in manual) Does this help you with my issue?

your help is appreciated - this machine is on for about 8 hours a day

Attachments

#7 ·
I wish I could give you alot of hope about lowering your temps, but looking at the Sony case layout, it's very tight, no air curculation. Still not clear on your fan layout. Looks like one out the back?, one on cpu? Power supply fans are usually built in to the PS enclosure. The first thing to fix is the cpu heatsink/fan assembly. With a clone pc it's simple, buy a new hsf, take old one off, clean off cpu, apply fresh thermal grease (artic silver) install heat sink and fan, that's it. with a Sony, who knows. If there is some way to install a case fan to blow out the back, that would be the next thing to look at.
Just looked at back view again, there is no place for a fan, I think Sony is depending on the PS fan to do the exhaust chores, not good. Other that a major case mod. I don't know what else can be done. Sony, pretty to look at but poor design looks like.

#8 ·
Have you opened the case and cleaned out all of the dust that accumlates after a while? Just cleaning can help lower temps. You can buy a can of air at any computer store; open the case [with the computer shut down] and blow out everything. As dust builds up, it can act as an insulator trapping heat in.

#9 ·
Thanks everyone

In the next few days I will take the machine apart again and give it a good cleaning. I did take some pipe cleaners and 99% rubbing alcohol to it when I was in there last time (to flick at and remove the obvious dust debris).
I did see some stuff in the fan that is attached to the power supply and removed what I could without taking the unit apart (kind of flicked at it with the pipe cleaners 'til it hopped out).
If I can take it off and clean it I will.
In the pdf file (Pages from PCVRX450_SR.pdf) it makes some mention of two fans, but I could not see anything but the one on the power supply I had to flip over to get to the RAM slots.

I will let you know where the adventure takes me.

Again, thanks
Emma

#11 ·
Hi AcaCandy

My machine rested overnight, and I checked the BIOS before starting the day.
these were the readings
Temperatures:
Motherboard - 30 °C (86 °F)
CPU - 62 °C (143 °F)

Usually I have the pc on for about 12 hours a day, playing & learning.
Should I keep the covers off from now on do you think?
It is only about 3 or 4 years old but I am worried about ruining it (could not afford another and this one was a gift)
I haven't gone in yet to see if I can take the fan apart to clean it (I am nervous because it is attached to the power supply)
Again, there is an odd diagram that mentions 2 fans but I have only seen one and don't know where to look for the other.
When I was in the BIOS, it had to readings for the fan speed (5075 and 2789) so that does mean there are two right?

thanks again for all of your help

Emma

#13 ·
Look in the front of the case, there may be a place to add another case fan. Sometimes the manufacturer will leave a space to add an additional case fan and there also may be an extra fan header (place to plug in a fan) on the motherboard.

#14 ·
okay AcaCandy and Rockin
I will email Sony today and see if they can identify this issue and make suggestions for another fan.
In the meantime, I guess I just have to shut it down to cool off, correct?

AcaCandy I am not sure how long I had the machine running when I checked the temps for my first post, but by the time of the post I am guessing 3 or 4 hours. I ran a program called AIDA (I found the link to it in this forum somewhere) and opened and closed big software apps to see how it was affected. As I am learning stuff like flash and how to use some of the better graphic apps I have these opened a lot, and many together.

#16 ·
Get a small desk fan, blow it into the side of your machine so you get air circulation...if your computer stops freezing up, it's because it was overheating before...

#19 ·
And that's why I would buy one...if it burns up it's an excuse to upgrade ;)

#21 ·
Wow - this time I really cleaned it! I have a shopping bag full of gummy, black q-tips!
Yes, I found that other fan. It is a little black thing sitting on top of silver slots - and it was a mess!!!!! I took out about a heaping tablespoon full of dust and goo from both of them alone. I managed to sort of get the power supply apart, but not enough to completely remove the fan, and got a bit more out of there and then ran rubbing alcohol over the circuit boards to removed some more dust and goo. Both fans moved freely, but I remembered reading something in here about oiling them, so I removed the silver sticker from the small black fan and dropped some oil in there and replaced the sticker (I used oil from an electric razor). I couldn't oil the fan on the power.

Now my BIOS reads
Temperatures:
Motherboard - 24 °C (75 °F)
CPU - 52 °C (125.5 °F)
Cooling Fans:
CPU - 7927 RPM
Power - 2766 RPM

and AIDA reads
Temperatures:
Motherboard - 35 °C (95 °F)
CPU - 55 °C (131 °F)
Aux - 25 °C (77 °F)

Cooling Fans:
CPU - 2312 RPM
Chassis - 3068 RPM

And the machine no longer makes noise.

Do you think I am good-to-go now?

darkjedi I'm using the aida program and I can't see to find temperatures settings on the motherboard and cpu

... click on Computer / Sensor and you will see your readings

#23 ·
Umm...that "silver slots" thing is called a heat sink, and it's job is to pull the heat from the CPU and then the fan cools the heat sink (all the slots are for air to flow through). If it was gummed up with dust and goo, air can't flow through it, and it can't keep your CPU cool like it should have been.

...you should clean your computer more often.

#24 ·
poo
Okay AcaCandy I will do.

What do you think a norm would be

Sony has no help for me

Do you think that I should replace parts?

thanks
Emma

Gibble - I had a feeling you would tell me that :) thank you! I feel educated once again. That area was really load with cr*p and I cleaned down into the slots with qtips and toothpicks - very tedious, but they are all shiney now!
I had thought I had cleaned it quite well when I put the RAM in (about 2 or 3 months ago) but was I wrong!

#26 ·
52C is getting down close to a normal range for the temp; it is still a little higher than I like to see. If you have a small case with little room for airflow, it is not too bad. Many things affect temps such as ambient temp, case airflow, type of material use for the case, etc. As an example this AMD 2600+ is running @39C in a 70F room.

Since you have been able to lower temps from a simple cleaning, you might try to tie up loose wires, cables, etc. This helps with airflow.

If there is no room for an exhaust fan, you could try a slot fan. They go into an open pci slot in the back of the computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.