How to tell PC to turn on at a certain time?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Bonecrusher123

hey guys, was just wondering if this is possible? can i set my PC to hibernate and then tell it to come out of hibernation at a certain time - like say, an hour later?

thanks

cwwozniak

Chuck
It would depend on your motherboard. The BIOS would need to support waking up after a specific amount of time. A Google search found some software that claims it can test that capability. NOTE: I have not tested the software and make no claims about its usability or safety.

http://www.passmark.com/products/sleeper.htm

Bonecrusher123

can a piece of software do it?

what can i try? i just want to turn the laptop off for 8 hours and then turn it back on by itself.

can a piece of software do it?

what can i try? i just want to turn the laptop off for 8 hours and then turn it back on by itself.
Hi there, are you using a desktop or a laptop?

Here is the thing,
I use a program called as atomic alarm clock on my laptop.
It has an option - "wake computer from hibernation"

So here is what I do :-
set the alarm when I want the computer to wake up, put my laptop in hibernation mode, and I make sure that the power cord is PLUGGED IN right from the start, even when my battery is completely charged.

So at the specific alarm time, my laptop just wakes up from hibernation.
Now please note, that this works for ME, as CWWOZNIAK rightly said, the BIOS should support the function.
Have also tested it with my friend's laptops, and it seems to work.

My current laptop is a DELL INSPIRON 14R, with Windows 7 Installed.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Last couple of dell laptops I had owned had a wake up function built into the bios. I could set the wake up time within the bios.

Bonecrusher123

Hi there, are you using a desktop or a laptop?

Here is the thing,
I use a program called as atomic alarm clock on my laptop.
It has an option - "wake computer from hibernation"

So here is what I do :-
set the alarm when I want the computer to wake up, put my laptop in hibernation mode, and I make sure that the power cord is PLUGGED IN right from the start, even when my battery is completely charged.

So at the specific alarm time, my laptop just wakes up from hibernation.
Now please note, that this works for ME, as CWWOZNIAK rightly said, the BIOS should support the function.
Have also tested it with my friend's laptops, and it seems to work.

My current laptop is a DELL INSPIRON 14R, with Windows 7 Installed.
ok this sounds great. i've got a dell latitude. how can i activate the 'wake function'?

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
We gave you two options. What aren't you understanding?

cwwozniak

Chuck
well i just installed atomic alarm clock but i don't see anything about waking hibernation.
Maybe geek-assist meant to say "Active Alarm Clock" instead of "Atomic Alarm Clock", both from the same company.

As an alarm clock, Active Alarm Clock can be scheduled to wake the user up in the morning or remind of important events or things to do during the day. Notification can be scheduled to run once at a particular time or at preset times repetitively and wake computer up from Standby or Hibernate.

Bonecrusher123

since installing this atomic alarm clock. my pc keeps coming out of sleep and hibernation with a blue screen.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online