1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

how to tell which video card is failing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by byoung7998, May 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. byoung7998

byoung7998 Thread Starter

Good day everyone -

I have an Alienware 18x R2 beast that is about 1.5 years old. Out of warranty that I bought used a year ago. Been a great computer. I use it for business purposes - needed the big screen for my statistics presentations to customers.

It has 32GB RAM, dual 7970m 2GB video cards, a boot 240GB SSD, 2 separate 500MB HD, etc. Pretty powerful computer.

Anyway it appears that one of the two crossfire enabled video cards is going bad. I'm getting the horizontal lines across the screen before the machine crashes. I've already taken it apart, cleaned out the air vents. All 3 cooling fans are working fine. Sometimes the computer works for an hour, then crashes, sometimes it works for seconds then crashes.

Is there any way to determine which video card is the culprit, so when I open it up to replace it I'm doing more than flipping a coin to guess? It is pretty involved to get to the video cards so I'd prefer to get it right the first time if possible.

Thank you!

Bill Young

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

As I understand the situation and presuming that this is the one display using the two 7970 cards linked by the crossfire bridge, if you open the AMD catalyst control centre and if available click to uncheck as explained below

To disable Crossfire right-click your desktop and select "Catalyst Control Center". On the upper-left click "Graphics", then "CrossfireX". In the main area of the window, uncheck the "Enable Crossfire" option. Click "OK" to accept the changes and close the Control Center.

I think that will then switch to the primary card only.

In view of the difference in the time element - one hour to seconds - I have a doubt that it is the cards

When you reply with the result of disabling crossfire we can explore other possible causes.

I presume the two HDD - not the SSD the 500 MB are GB not that this of course has any relevance to the problem

Were it to be me I would start with a driver rollback on the graphics and I would test temps and voltages

Which OS please if it is 8/8.1 are driver updates via Microsoft - Windows updates - if so I would most certainly examine driver dates and versions.

When it crashes does it produce a dump file, if so send me a zipped copy of the minidump and I will analyse it for you

3. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    You say all 3 cooling fans are working fine? I would expect there to be more than 3 fans in a system like that, maybe I am wrong.

Have you checked all the fans / heatsinks on the GPUs themselves?

It sounds to me like a possibly heat related problem or possibly power. Have you done and temperature / voltage monitoring? A good starting point would be to download and install Speccy (its free), create a report an publish it online (there is an option in the file menu to 'publish report online' but I can't remember exactly where. If you do that post the URL in a reply here so we can see the report.

4. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

It is a laptop - in case you thought it was a desktop

I also suggested temp and volts monitoring

Speccy is downloaded from Piriform
    It is as you say available free
    https://www.piriform.com/speccy

For your information the URL is obtained as here
    Very useful utility I use it quite often for a reasonably comprehensive analysis of the computer. however IMHO and I will stand corrected of course, not always reliable, as like any other generic temp and volts monitoring, it can produce erroneous results. Perhaps not as reliable as the included temps and volts on the Alienware 18x R2

http://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/ukdhs1/product-support/product/alienware-m18x-r2/diagnose

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147998

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice