1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to tell XP to boot into Vista?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Bonecrusher123, Dec 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bonecrusher123

Bonecrusher123 Thread Starter

hey guys, i've got 2 HDD's here. one HDD has XP installed and i've only used this.

i also have Vista on the 2nd HDD. i want to try out Vista. is there any way i can boot into the Vista HDD without losing the XP install or causing problems with XP?

thanks

2. rosiesdad

rosiesdad

Without a true dual boot can you go into bios and change the boot order of the hard drives (or disable one). If you will be doing this a lot, that wont be too handy though.
    Not sure, but I think most of the time a larger HD is used, and its partitioned in two or more segments. Then its pretty standard to do a dual or Tri boot.

3. Bonecrusher123

Bonecrusher123 Thread Starter

ok, thanks.

so if i disable the XP drive it won't destroy it and i won't lose data?

4. rosiesdad

rosiesdad

Nothing should happen unless you tell it to happen. (like reformatting)
    Also you should be able to open the files on the second hard drive thru windows explorer, and transferr photos, music, and so on so both systems are up date.
    Report back on how this all works.

5. Totalstranger

Totalstranger

Here are some steps to creating a dual boot. !. Go to ebay. 2. Go to Electronics & Technology. 3. Go to Computers and Networking and click on it. 4. Type dual boot cd in the search bar. 5. Click on search. 6. Order the CD and it will be shipped to you. 7. Follow the Install Guide of your choice on the Dual Boot CD. And you can have your very own dual boot system. With the Go Tos in the first three steps in this reply post, it kind of reminded me using DOS years ago as in goto line ??. Seems like a long time ago. The early 80s anyway. There are many ways to create a dual boot. I have only tried two different ways. I`ve read about more. But the Dual Boot CD is the easiest way as far as I know.
    If you do all of this report back on how this all works. I have not been able to keep the starting of XP from deleting all of the Vista restore points, yet.

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Who made your computer ???
    In a HP .. keep tapping the Esc key during bootup .. You'll enter a boot loader where you can choose which HDD to boot from.
    In a Dell .. I think it's the Del Key.
    If not a Dell or HP .. Try each and see what happens .. It depends on the Bios used.
    Otherwise .. The computer will boot to the first Boot Drive it finds .. By Default

Depends if you have different HDDs .. or Partitions.
    The HDDs must be independent of each other.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971553

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice