1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How to telnet a computer in a workgroup

Discussion in 'Networking' started by gsingh2011, Dec 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gsingh2011

gsingh2011 Thread Starter

Hi, I know telnet is not secure and ssh is a better choice but this is only for educational purposes. I want to telnet a computer in my workgroup. The telnet service is running on both computers. If I type telnet localhost in both computers it works fine and logs on to the same system. However if I type telnet ip.of.other.computer it says can not connect on port 23 or something of that sort. Firewalls on both computers are disabled. What could be the problem?

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Are we to assume you are using some version of Windows on your computers?

3. gsingh2011

gsingh2011 Thread Starter

Well, I was able to fix the problem in the workgroup, but then I tried connecting using an external IP when the computer was not connected to the workgroup. So I used the same command only with my external IP. I am connecting to a windows xp computer. I have tried connecting from windows xp, vista, 7, and linux (ubuntu). None can connect when I use the external IP.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you have a router have you forwarded the needed port(s)?

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Seriously! You want to telnet to a computer over the Internet?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/887888

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice